The Music/Video Thread

xann · 9872

xann

• Ravens Member
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
on: January 02, 2012, 12:25:05 am
:P

I love music, who doesn't? I like sharing it, finding something new, even if i end up not liking it. Genres don't exisit, only what you like and don't like. So post something here if you have the urge... You're favourite song if you have one, something you've had stuck in your head for ages, one you totaly hate, a guilty pleasure... I guess i'll start with a few :)

The song i've probably listened to the most - Tool-Reflection

At the moment lots of hip/hop/rap - Tech N9ne-Low / Nine Leaves-Bad Dreams Deep

Can't help but move to this ♥motown - Steve Wonder-Sir Duke

What i spent my christmas Itunes vouchers on :P - Rosetta-Wake

"Guilty" pleasure..? or just pleasure :P - Nicki Minaj-Super Bass

This may have been a bad idea, theres way too much to list. Not really anything i "hate".. wouldn't listen to boy bands on purpose though.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 11:43:31 pm by xann »

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 08:35:06 pm
Nice list Xan (except for Nicki Minaj perhaps? Though I notice your link for that doesn't actually work !!! :) ), I like Tool-Reflection allot, very chilled. Also like Rosetta-Wake, pretty cool. Will check out some more songs from both.

Hard to describe your whole music collection in just a few songs, so i won't try, I'll just post a few that immediately come to mind! :

Two classic songs from Metal bands - System of a Down - Toxicity ; Metallica - Nothing Else Matters

Underworld are still going strong and I love their new album last year, but still can't beat this one they did a few years ago Moaner

Currently listening to rock stuff like Funeral Party - Finale and Rise Against - Satellite and still listneing to the awesome foo fighters album out from last year, many good songs but this is my favourite - Foo Fighters - Arlandria

Old school would really have to be Hendrix I'm afraid, can't beat All Along the Watchtower ...totally awesome!

More chilled? - how about Warpaint - Undertow Live, Metronomy - The Look

Funny/Awsome! - Tenacious D - Tribute

Guilty pleasure, hrm I have too many..... how about Ellie Goulding - Starry Eyed ... probably as bad as yours :)

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 09:45:00 pm
I have only tried Tool - Reflection so far of what you have listed but will listen to more.

I also have many songs that I wanna share but will start with just one ...

Present Tense - Pearl Jam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O7jmmSYI9U

Hope you like it as much as I do.

<Currently thinking of something amazing to write ...>

xann

• Ravens Member
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 01:33:02 pm
Great track Sax :) And Las i like it, the chilled stuff especialy. Never heard of War paint before, the're good. Been a system fan for a long time, and if i was forced to pick one i'd say Tool was my favourite band.

Melt Banana - Shield for Your Eyes, A Beast in the Well

If you like punk you may like this, or it might offend your ears :P

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 03:21:35 pm
Yup great song Sax. Xan - that certainly is unique ! :) Doesn't offend my ears but not sure it's in the 'like' category either :D

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 08:59:29 pm
WARNING WARNING - THREAD HIJACK!!!

Ok, not strictly music but this is very cool http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDZAJo1y__8&feature=related (Spidy, Ironman and the Hulk take on giant killer robots)

Musically

4th July by Soundgarden - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy6QcNohf1U - prolly one of their best songs imo.

Born Slippy - Underworld http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlLWFa1b1Bc - fucking loved this song when it came out!

Nick Cave and Kylie Minogue - Where the wild roses grow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlh6e2cmlTk - Shame it is from a singing game, seems hard to find on Youtube, great song though.

Brainbug - Nightmare - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4YiM4JcLtA - Old School house, wicked video ;p

Enjoy ...

xann

• Ravens Member
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 12:19:01 am
Renamed the Thread :P Post a funny/cool video here too if you like... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzaHnJBqSls

Nice stuff. not heard of Soundgarden before. And Born Slippy is a great track, 90's all over it :)

Some random stuff i listened to tonight.

Bush-Testosterone

Tool-Parabola

The Maytals-Pressure Drop

NiN-Eraser(Denial; Realization)

Tech N9ne-Strange Music Box

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 08:09:22 pm
This cover amused me, by a band all playing one guitar :)

Check out the beard guy on the right, he has the best job ! I'm also pretty sure one of the singers is Peter Gabriel in disguise :)

Somebody that I used to know - Walk off the earth

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 10:41:41 pm
So i know frequent forum visitors that haven't yet contributed to this thread but must (cos music is awesome,frankly) are....  Cernos, eko, Brigh and maybe Shi :)

C'mon, gis some music you enjoy, I don't care if you think we won't like it :)

p.s. Xan, i think Melt banana are growing on me, lol!

eKo

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 11:35:43 pm
Melt Banana sorta reminds me of Sonic Youth, but even harder and with more noise.

Learned to appreciate music with grunge (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, ...) then got more into metal, switched to hip-hop and now it's a bit of everything (no opera though :P). Lately listening to some female singers (Adele, Lana Del Rey, Amy Winehouse, Duffy, ...) and really like Duffy - Rockferry, great song.

Another song I really like is Faithless - God is a DJ, got it as my ringtone and it's real funny at work as every time I get a call my colleagues all put their hands in the air :).

But let's try to add some Belgian songs (hard to choose) of different genres

Arsenal - Salvegam

Daan - Victory

dEUS - Suds & Soda

Goose - Synrise

Hooverphonic - Eden

Selah Sue - This World

Starflam - Ce Plat Pays

Stromae - Alors on Danse

The Black Box Revelation - High on a Wire

And to get in a holiday mood, the French/Cuban rap group Orishas with A lo Cubano.

I'll stop here for now ;D.

Actually forgot one I really have to add, Scala, an all girl choir accompanied by piano doing covers of rock & pop songs, amazing stuff. For example Scala & Kolacny Brothers - Engel (cover from Rammstein) & Scala & Kolacny Brothers - Nothing Else Matters (cover from Metallica) for Las :).

And how could I forget Gorky - Mia, a song constantly voted as best Belgian rock/pop song.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 11:33:48 pm by eKo »

Katsui :: Huldra :: Blades/Assault Rifle
Spookks :: Huldra :: Pistols/Elementalism

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 05:12:55 am
Well since you asked (are you sitting comfortably!) ....

It's hard for me to pick out just a few things as I like such a vast range of music. I'd not previously posted in this thread, not because I had nothing to add, but quite the opposite (as you'll see, hehe). Anyway I've had a fun evening trawling through Youtube to find these, so I hope at least some of them are of interest. Here's just a few of my musical influences and favourites. Note that most of these are live versions (as is the way with Youtube) and vary a fair bit in quality.

John Martyn - Solid Air
John Martyn - Small Hours
A huge musical influence and two of my favourite JM songs. The reworking of his 70s classic Solid Air is just dripping with soul, beautiful. And Danny Thompson has to be one of the best bassists there is. On Small Hours the guitar sound he uses was ahead of its time and done with an analog tape echo unit.

Neil Young - Hey Hey My My (Into The Blue) Includes Jawas!
Neil Young & Pearl Jam - Keep On Rockin' In The Free World
I discovered Neil Young when I was about 14 with the album Rust Never Sleeps. It had a beautiful acoustic side and a dirty grungy electric side. Both blew me away and he's been a huge musical influence of mine ever since. The MTV performance with Pearl jam was jaw dropping at the time, no-one expected it to turn out like it did.

Jackson Browne - Your Bright Baby Blues.
Jackson Browne - Running On Empty
One from 1977 and one from Glasto 2010, good to see he's still in fine voice. David Lindley's lap steel solos always send shivers down my spine, I'd love to be able to play that instrument.

Sandy Denny & Fairport Convention - Who Knows Where The Time Goes
Sandy Denny - Late November
One of the most beautiful and haunting voices to ever grace the airwaves. Her voice still stops me in my tracks. Timeless.

Richard Thompson - Vincent Black Lightning 1952
The master. Budding guitarists might want to look away now.

Chris Knight - North Daktoa
I'm a big fan of Americana and and storytelling via song. This is the closest to the sort of acoustic music I like to play myself on the guitar (I do a rather substandard cover of this song)

Gillian Welch & Dave Rawlings - Time (The Revelator)
More Americana. Went to see them live a few months ago, one of the best gigs I've ever seen. The musical chemistry between them is mesmerising and Dave Rawlings guitar playing is from another planet - who says the shredders get all the best licks!

Rory Gallagher - Do You Read Me
Rory Gallagher - Walk On Hot Coals
The guitarist who I've always most wanted to play like, but all I've achieved so far is a guitar that looks as beaten up as his. Check out the second guitar solo on Walk on Hot Coals and all the clipped notes. And the guitar solo at the end of Do You Read Me still makes me grin from ear to ear every time I see/hear it. And great to see a snippet of Stanley Unwin (anyone else ancient enough to remember him?)

The Waterboys - The Pan Within
The Waterboys - Glastonbury Song
Still going strong and still awesome. One of the best live acts I've seen.

The Cure - A Forest (acoustic)
My favourite Cure song and my favourite version of it.

Bon Iver - Blindsided
Hauntingly beautiful voice and a wonderfully atmospheric live arrangement of this song.

Christy Moore - Ride On
Christy Moore - Viva la Quinta Brigada
If you ever get a chance to see CM live, take it while he's still around. Magical performer. The second of these vids gives you a taste of the amazing atmosphere at his gigs.

Jethro Tull - Songs From The Wood
A deeply unfashionable band, but I still love 'em and such a great live act. Ian Anderson always makes me chuckle.

Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
Well you won't see this covered on the X-Factor!

Some classic Bjork and some more recent barking mad Bjork. Love 'em both.
Bjork - Hyperballad
Bjork - Crystaline

Grateful Dead - Birdsong
Yep I'm a Deadhead, and I'm not ashamed to say it! Totally unique band, never has been or ever will be anything like them.

Matt The Electrcian - Happy Ending
Matt The Electrician - Keep It There
Someone I actually found out about via Youtube.  His songs are a quirky mix of the bittersweet and dry humour.

Frazey Ford - Gospel Song
I just love music stripped down to its rawest soul.

Little Feat - Rock n Roll Doctor
One of the funkiest bands ever. Another tragic premature loss in Lowell George though.

Neko Case - Magpie To the Morning
The vid has nothing to do with Neko Case, but it's a wonderfully surreal accompaniment.

Daniel Lanois - The Messenger
Love the stripped down version of this song. For anyone into their guitar playing, check out his guitar tone during the solo. Classic Les Paul sound.

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 04:04:03 pm
Good effort guys, I think I might have an enite evening of musical listening ahead of me! :)

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 05:21:29 pm
Yup, great effort. Now I have lots to chomp my way through :)

xann

• Ravens Member
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 10:19:52 pm
love it! wish i checked this again sooner. love finding more music. keep sharing... looking at you Cern :P

xann

• Ravens Member
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 10:33:28 pm