Cernos · 49681

Brigh

• Ravens Officer
  • Big Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #45 on: March 16, 2009, 10:53:46 am
Hey Guys

Question for the people who have played the expansion, is the levelling rate the same in TBC and WoTLK - I know that when TBC came out it was advised at around level 58 to get into TBC if you could as the better XP

I'm fast approaching level 67 and I'm wondering if I should move to WoTLK zones or stay in TBC where its quieter until 70?

Thanks

Brigh :D

Kilgour LVL 80 Gnome Rogue WOW
Kilgour LVL 70 BE Warlock WOW
Brigheiss LVL 70 Orc Warrior WOW
Brigh BR23 CR2 NC Planetside Gemini
Brigh BR26 CR3 TR Planetside Werner

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: March 16, 2009, 03:28:06 pm
heya Brigh,

Prolly a question for others that are more active like cern,eko, xan etc. At a guess though i'd say go to the starter zones at level 68 and do a few of the early quests, then take the rewards and go back into TBC until 70. I think you prolly could just stay in WOTLK but it would be frustrating i would imagine as many quests would be unavailable cos your not high enough level.

Remember with TBC the rewards were ultra silly and thats why everyone couldn't wait to go there, the WOTLK rewards are far less powerful - worth getting a few upgrades but then you start to see similar stuff for quest upon quest. Cant really comment if TBC exp is worse than WOTLK, don't think it is but maybe see whilst you're there.

Leveling rate felt kinda slow to me, but having said that i wasn't really enjoying myself. There are plenty of quests but very little variety in them past a couple of real fun ones in the starter zones.

Brigh

• Ravens Officer
  • Big Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #47 on: March 16, 2009, 03:33:03 pm
Cheers Las

Tempted to stay in TBC till 69/70 and then resting and getting a full rested bonus - that should keep me going playing a few hours a night until mid 70's as is it worth just ploughing in there and get going - as I'm just leveling to 70 I will have just standard green gear so nothing special (the odd blue I guess though)

« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 04:33:03 pm by Brigh »

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: March 16, 2009, 05:14:41 pm
WOTLK zones are quite tough because they are tuned for players being reasonably well equipped from heroics and raids in TBC. So I wouldn't go early. I have taken my shaman and paladin with full Kara gear into WOTLK and naturally breezed through. But my poor old hunter, without any heroic gear and just TBC quest rewards, really struggled even at 70.

I would go at 70. I would also start in Howling Fjord (which you reach via Undercity) rather than Borean Tundra (via Orgrimmar) because the quests are more fun and slightly easier. You can do the Borean Tundra quests after even though by then you will slightly outlevel them. This is because in WOTLK most of your xps come from quests, and so it is faster to do quests that you slightly outlevel than to go to zones that are equal or higher level. The quest xps stay relatively constant whereas the mobs you have to kill don't (quicker to kill 20x easy mobs than 20x hard ones for a quest etc).

Quest gear in WOTLK isn't as big an upgrade from TBC as you'd expect (not like TBC gear was to vanilla). So you might do well to scour the AH or work on your faction rep for gear (in fact, some of your best gear pre-raiding, even at 80, comes from tjhe WOTLK faction rewards). WOTLK factions have a nice mechanic in that as well as quests and dailies you can earn rep in the endgame from any heroic by wearing that faction's tabard during the heroic.

Have fun!

Brigh

• Ravens Officer
  • Big Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #49 on: March 16, 2009, 05:15:53 pm

I would go at 70. I would also start in Howling Fjord (which you reach via Undercity) rather than Borean Tundra (via Orgrimmar) because the quests are more fun and slightly easier. You can do the Borean Tundra quests after even though by then you will slightly outlevel them. This is because in WOTLK most of your xps come from quests, and so it is faster to do quests that you slightly outlevel than to go to zones that are equal or higher level.

Not sure my gnome rogue would feel that welcome in Undercity ^^

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #50 on: March 16, 2009, 05:20:21 pm
Not sure my gnome rogue would feel that welcome in Undercity ^^

Pfft, aren't you on a carebear server? :)

But anyway, Alliance have a start town in Howling Fjord too, linked with Menethil Harbour. That's if they let gnomes on boats  or use them as ballast :)

Brigh

• Ravens Officer
  • Big Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #51 on: March 16, 2009, 05:25:38 pm
:) on Thunderhorn and really enjoying it, although most of the quests are similar I've enjoyed playing Alliance and not taken me long to get to 67 - about 7 days playing now and again with full rested :D

There is a lack of gnomes about - the ballast comment might explain that

xann

• Ravens Member
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: March 17, 2009, 02:13:14 pm
i agree with cern, stay in tbc areas till 70, or even alillte beyond imo. And starting in the Howling Fjord /nod. But Borean Tundra's good to, i did both and then went to Dragonblight.

Brigh

• Ravens Officer
  • Big Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #53 on: March 17, 2009, 02:34:09 pm
Cheers Guys

Sounds good to me as I will be 70 long before I reach places like Netherstorm so might as well level a bit there where it is quiet than in a new zone with a higher population :)

Also want some more cash before I start WoTLK

« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 03:29:47 pm by Brigh »

Brigh

• Ravens Officer
  • Big Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #54 on: March 20, 2009, 09:20:34 am
Well reached 69 last night and still so many quests left in BEM I doubt I will see Shadowmoon Valley or Netherstorm, I've always passed BEM on my other chars so it is nice to see something different, I love the gnome town in BEM - I'm suprised George Lucas hasn't sued! so many film rip off in there - Crazy Gnomes!

Going to attempt 70 in the next couple of days then activate my WoLK account and build up some rested for a speedy start :)

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: March 20, 2009, 10:28:44 am
Nice one mate, keep going :) I originally disliked BEM but after playing it through on my mage i changed my mind, there's some damn nice quests though some you won't be able to see as they end up as group quests :/

I also enjoyed some of the disguise quests and especially one i recall with a remote control toy, that was really fun :)

Brigh

• Ravens Officer
  • Big Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #56 on: March 20, 2009, 10:30:29 am
yeah, I'll skip the groups ones but so far some funny ones - love the gnome transporter which flies you across the zone, crazy engineering!

buying my new mount tonight but trying to decide which looks best with a gnome riding on it!

eKo

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #57 on: March 20, 2009, 11:22:18 am
buying my new mount tonight but trying to decide which looks best with a gnome riding on it!
All of them, gnomes look naturally good ;D.

Grats on 69 :). Will try to log on Thunderhorn a bit more to level my DK (or my shadowpriest, not really sure). If I'm on you can always ask to do some groupquests, happy to help and can always ask in guildchat as well, most in Roses of Dawn are very helpful.

And yeah the gnome town quests are great fun :).

Katsui :: Huldra :: Blades/Assault Rifle
Spookks :: Huldra :: Pistols/Elementalism

Brigh

• Ravens Officer
  • Big Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #58 on: March 20, 2009, 11:34:25 am
yeah the roses all seem great - just plodding along at the moment but I'm sure I will start asking for help come level 70 :D

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #59 on: April 13, 2009, 04:38:13 pm
hit level 80 yet then Brigh ? :)