Carcophan · 4034

Carcophan

• Raven Guard
  • Ravens Member
  • Shut Yer Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
on: April 29, 2005, 09:12:30 am
Hi guys where do you get the avatar pics?  Bit of a computer usless git.

Cheers

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 11:15:16 am
I haven't gotten around to sorting mine out, but before i used google pics, then found one of the appropriate size and saved it to the right format.  Cernog put up a thread about posting pics in the correct formats.  Then goto User CP and dl it.

Alternatively you can search under google for such things as "fantasy pics"  "Horror pics" or whatever.

<Currently thinking of something amazing to write ...>

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 02:15:58 pm
Avatars can be up to 100x100 pixels in dimension, and up to 30k in file size (which is plenty for such a small image). They should be in the JPEG or GIF file formats.

Avatars can be uploaded to the server via your user control panel (go to the UserCP link where you can also set your titles, signatures etc). You can either upload an avatar via a web link or from browsing a file on your hard drive.

If you've found an existing avatar image on another forum you'd like to use, either use the URL of the image to upload it to this site, or save it to your hard drive and upload it that way. Lots of web forums like VN Boards have a wide range or generic avatars you could select from and as long as the image isn't bigger than 100x100 you'll be able to use it here.

But it's probably more fun to make your own.

If you want to make your own avatar by editing a screenie or resizing / cropping an existing image or photo, you'll need some image editing software. See this sticky for suggestions.

By way of example, I made my avatar for this site by taking a screenie of my character, opening the screenie in some image editing software, cropping the area I wanted with a square shaped crop, resizing the crop to 100x100 size and then saving as a medium-high quality JPEG.

Carcophan

• Raven Guard
  • Ravens Member
  • Shut Yer Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 09:41:40 am
Thanks for the help Cern and Big Gratz on 60!

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 09:43:51 am
jup, grats Cern :D