Brigh · 21810

Brigh

• Ravens Officer
  • Big Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 08:36:22 pm
Just some initial thoughts

The game has more servers but less continents to play on so it condenses the fighting (no more ghost hacking a planet without anyone enemy) so it makes the fights insane - things move to fast and with classes having the ability to use jump jets it makes you think about the angles.

The classes are very clever, no more spending certs to equip a heavy weapon or max - instead you receive certs to change your primary weapon or perhaps add a laser site etc. You can swap your classes without penalty each time you spawn so one minute you can be a cloaker (you can't stay cloaked for long or fire your weapon without uncloakind) and the next be a heavy foot solider with a MPG and rocket launcher.

Considering it's free to play and the fact you can login and within a matter of minutes be hot dropped into a battlezone makes this a game worthwhile having a blast on.

I don't plan for this game to be a timesink but just some quick, free, MMO FPS fun :)

Brigh :D

Kilgour LVL 80 Gnome Rogue WOW
Kilgour LVL 70 BE Warlock WOW
Brigheiss LVL 70 Orc Warrior WOW
Brigh BR23 CR2 NC Planetside Gemini
Brigh BR26 CR3 TR Planetside Werner

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 06:53:19 pm
Sorry Brigh, I missed this. How's the lag? When i played last year it still seemed a bit of a problem, would be good to know if you think its sorted?

eKo

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 10:03:58 pm
When I tried to play it I found it confusing (dropped where action was supposed to be, but couldn't find out where most of the time) and a bit laggy (when I finally did find a fight). While I liked the original Planetside, I never could get into PS2 for some reason.

Maybe I should give it another go, but I'm trying Eve Online for now and starting to like it. There's at least way more to do than when I last tried it (there's tutorials now explaining some avenues), even though it's still rather intimidating. It is a sandbox game after all which is going for almost 10 years now.

Katsui :: Huldra :: Blades/Assault Rifle
Spookks :: Huldra :: Pistols/Elementalism

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 10:17:48 pm
Yeah i know what ya mean. I couldn't get into it either though I must admit the lag was the biggest think putting me off, might try it again i guess as it's F2P.

Eve ? That's a cool game, i played it for a month or so a long time back and liked it back then, so I imagine it has got a ton better. Looks like the kinda game that could suck you right in though :)

Brigh

• Ravens Officer
  • Big Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 12:01:50 pm
It has altered slightly, I'm playing on a couple of EU servers and only once suffered some lag.

You still have to capture bases and towers but now there are different objectives - e.g. some bases will allow footsoliders to enter the compounds and vechicles have to wait outside until the base shield generators are destroyed.

I find the instant action button is often instant death or instant boredom - as the hotspots move so quickly often you are dropped into the mother of all firefights but it might not involve your race so it's instant death - other times the fight has moved on and you are dropped into an empty base.  The best option is to deploy instead as this will ensure you spawn at a base/tower/mobile vechicle and at least you can grab a vechicle if you need to move on.

I'm honestly enjoying the changes they have made and I've not played a game since the original where you have fights involving so many people/elements.

I'm going to keep playing (as it's fun and free) so if anyone wants to join me then let me know and I'll tell you which race/server I'm playing on.

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 06:08:55 pm
I might try it again at some point (tho prolly not right now). But i bet it won't be to hard to find you anyway Brigh, I'll just look for the nearest red TR scum flying around doing solo missions in his reaver ;)

Brigh

• Ravens Officer
  • Big Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 12:31:49 pm
you may struggle then as I'm playing VS and now they have empire specific aircrafts (mossi - TR, reaver - NC and scythe - VS)

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 03:41:30 pm
ahhhh, finally you saw the light :) Purple ftw!

eKo

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #23 on: April 23, 2013, 09:19:41 pm
Started playing again and while I'm still clueless, I at least managed to get to BR 5 this time ;D. And is it me or do you get certs really slooooooooooooow?. Seems that I you want to advance faster it means paying up, but so far I'm enjoying getting killed in a bazillion different ways.

Big battles can introduce some lag, but it's been pretty good actually, better than it used to be at least.

Brigh

• Ravens Officer
  • Big Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 12:55:42 pm
yeah they can take a while, you can generate upto 12 certs when you are offline so if you don't play for a day you can still get a few

some activites will reap in cert points, a lot are support type actions like repairing (which anyone can do) turrets, if you are an engineer then make sure you always chuck down ammo packs which can be done every 10 seconds and doesn't cost anything - if someone picks up the pack you get xp and cert points - same goes for a medic.

eKo

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #25 on: April 24, 2013, 08:56:11 pm
OMG, repairing turrets after taking a base is awesome for gaining certs ;D. Invested those in my repair tool for faster repairs, hehe.

Brigh

• Ravens Officer
  • Big Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #26 on: April 26, 2013, 03:09:13 pm
I always make sure that when I'm attacking a base I blow up every turret just so I get to repair them afterwards - best thing is you get XP and cert for blowing turrets up even when they are empty!

Which server/faction are you playing?

eKo

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #27 on: April 26, 2013, 05:18:25 pm
I'm mainly playing VS on Cobalt (Katsui). I do have some alts as well, but hardly played them so far.

Was in a decent squad yesterday and that was good fun. Went solo later on and somehow got overrun wherever I decided to deploy. Definitely less fun :P. I might look for an outfit to join later on, so I can get into more organized battles.

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: April 26, 2013, 10:48:44 pm
Went solo later on and somehow got overrun wherever I decided to deploy. Definitely less fun :P.

n00b !! (just for old times sake! :) )

Brigh

• Ravens Officer
  • Big Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #29 on: April 27, 2013, 10:46:45 am
I think I've only grouped once since playing as I prefer the ability to move quickly to where the action is there are some fights I don't like - I much rather defend than attack.