Dragon Age 2

xann · 5881

xann

• Ravens Member
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
on: February 25, 2011, 11:36:22 pm
Whos gonna be getting Dragon Age 2?

Theres a DLable demo out now which i might have a go at, get a sneak peak.

From what i've seen its gonna have a more ME feel... voiced main character and the wheel of choice for dialogue. And u'll be playing the "Fantasy Shepard", no playing an elf/dwarf or whatever... Dunno if thats a good move, considering the setting.

I think its gonna be a very different gaming experience compared to DA:O. But i enjoyed ME and DA:O, so i should enjoy whatever the outcome is of their offspring...

Also i never got round to playing ME2... good? worth getting?

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 12:08:08 am
Fantasy Shepard, is this a reference to Firefly or is it some kinky sex game where people get dressed up as sheep herders and sheep that I don't know about (possibly for the best)?  :o

Sax.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 07:32:04 pm by Saxif »

<Currently thinking of something amazing to write ...>

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 12:24:11 am
ME2 was even better than ME1 (and ME1 was very good). Definitely worth playing ME2, still one of my favourite ever games.

If DA2 will be similar to ME but in a fantasy environment, that's no bad thing. Enjoyed DA:O so will definitely give it a try.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 01:49:13 am by Cernos »

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 10:01:59 am
lol Sax ! :)

Yep I will be getting it no doubt, but it'll have to join the queue of games I already have to play !!!

eKo

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 05:49:01 pm
First impressions are really good, even though I haven't played much yet.

It's more streamlined (kinda like going from ME to ME2), but there's still a lot of class customization possible due to the 'talent trees'. Bit of a shame you can only play as human (mage, rogue or warrior), but there's probably more than enough other races you can get into your party for it not to matter too much. The dialog system is indeed fully voiced & really is a lot like ME. It looks more linear than the first game, but maybe more options open up later.

It looks (and runs) great, I really like what I've seen so far.

Had to jump through some hoops to get my version going as it's only officially available on Steam from tomorrow (Friday for the UK iirc). Hate it when they don't do worldwide releases, especially when digital downloads are available. Got the EA download manager, gave in my steam DA2 key and it downloaded the game. Ran a VPN program (flyvpn) to get a US IP to get my copy activated (once it's activated it doesn't seem to do any checks anymore). Apparently it's also possible to activate the Steam version like this, but on Steam it's against the ToC, so they could ban your account. Just using the extra time to explore & try out the classes a bit ;).

Katsui :: Huldra :: Blades/Assault Rifle
Spookks :: Huldra :: Pistols/Elementalism

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 08:01:43 pm
lol nice workaround eko :)

I won't be able to play until friday. Still in no rush as I'm Dead Space 2'ing right now (good game but more of the same really as the 1st).

eKo

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 12:19:16 am
Played some more and it's not as linear as the first part. Picked up loads of optional quests + you can do the main quests in any order.

Will play it on Steam once it unlocks and start a rogue as it doesn't look like a warrior can dual wield anymore :(.

If you decide to get it there's also a high resolution pack out from Bioware (kinda makes you wonder why it's not part of the installer).

There's a lot of people screaming about it being dumbed down for consoles, but while combat is a bit more arcady (the tactical zoomed out view is gone, there's no friendly fire anymore (except on the highest difficulty setting) and sometimes mobs come in waves) it's not that different. (I hardly ever used the zoomed out view, preferring the over-the-shoulder view and friendly fire was a pain for mages). You also don't manage your companion's armour anymore, only jewellery & weapons, though there's supposed to be some upgrades for their armour as well. Don't think the change is so bad, mage armor (especially the hats) looked rather silly, so they keep their looks now.
And there's an option to hide your helmet now!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 10:24:47 am by eKo »

Katsui :: Huldra :: Blades/Assault Rifle
Spookks :: Huldra :: Pistols/Elementalism

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 08:26:24 pm
My pc can't handle dx11 :) Maybe time for a new 'puter? :) (over 4 years old now this one, and yeah eko it's the one that always crashed on vista !)

Bet you are in heaven with the option to hide your helmet ! :)

My copy didn't come today for some reason, stupid amazon ! qq

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 01:37:55 pm
So I got it on Saturday. Seems my PC can still run it fine on 'high' settings which I was kinda shocked at (apparently my Radeon 4850 can handle a little dx11 but not much of it).

I can certainly see why some people are complaining, it does seem to be a game designed more for the consoles 1st and PC 2nd. Having said that not hating it but only played for a few hours so far.

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 06:54:32 pm
Not having to display those silly mage helms sells it for me :)

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 04:07:56 pm
Having played it for a fair few hours now I pretty much agree with most of the balanced reviews out there. It's not as good imo as DA:O and I guess it's hard to expect a game thats only been 2 years in development to fare well with a game that took 7 years ! :)

However, I am enjoying it still despite some niggles. Probably the worst of which in my opinion is the way that mobs drop out of the sky in waves, really don't like that at all as I prefer to be able to see everything I have to beat ! When mobs just start appearing I find it pretty annying that I just used one ofmy uber cooldowns :) However, once you get used to it you do start to expect it so I suppose it's only a little moan :)