Starcraft 2

xann · 12888

xann

• Ravens Member
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
on: July 29, 2010, 11:43:24 pm
Any1 going to get this? or have got it already?

I think im gonna get a new computer before i buy any new games (even tho Starcrafts pretty low recco specs)

Brigh

• Ravens Officer
  • Big Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 08:53:15 am
I've been thinking about getting it as I loved the original and I've heard very good things about it but going to wait a couple of weeks as been playing a lot of Planetside recently and even logged back into WOW last night for the 1st time since getting married!

Brigh :D

Kilgour LVL 80 Gnome Rogue WOW
Kilgour LVL 70 BE Warlock WOW
Brigheiss LVL 70 Orc Warrior WOW
Brigh BR23 CR2 NC Planetside Gemini
Brigh BR26 CR3 TR Planetside Werner

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 09:19:29 pm
Congratulations on getting married and comiserations on logging back into WoW  ;D

Sax.

<Currently thinking of something amazing to write ...>

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 12:22:56 am
Aye, congrats on getting married Brigh :D

(not so sure about playing planetside! Isn't it getting a little bit old now ? ;))) )

Brigh

• Ravens Officer
  • Big Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 02:28:19 pm
still a few hundred people playing most of the time, its just more centred on one planet and one base now instead of fights over several planets - its kinda good as now you have all 3 empires fighting in the same area :)

Kilgour LVL 80 Gnome Rogue WOW
Kilgour LVL 70 BE Warlock WOW
Brigheiss LVL 70 Orc Warrior WOW
Brigh BR23 CR2 NC Planetside Gemini
Brigh BR26 CR3 TR Planetside Werner

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 09:57:36 pm
addict ;)

btw: on topic, not sure I'll get it. I've managed to always hate the RTS genre (I much prefer Civ style turn based stuff for my strategy games). the last RTS i really enjoyed was Dune (which arguably started it all i think?) but that had allot to do with me loving the book as well. Played plenty of RTS's since and never really liked them :(

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 02:51:08 pm
Yarp, Dune 2:  Battle for Ariakis was the first game I recal starting the RTS genre, followed up by Warcraft 1, which for me was on the PS1.  Dune 2 was a very good game, think I prolly played it about 12-15 years ago, or something like that.

Regards Starcraft 2, I like the look of it and am almost at the point where I could buy it, but like Las I am burned on that genre.  The last RTS I bought was rated very highly but I only played it for a couple hours before getting bored and never picking it up again  :(

Sax.

<Currently thinking of something amazing to write ...>

eKo

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 11:21:34 pm
Got SC2 and while I'm not a big fan of the RTS genre I'm really enjoying it.

The missions are much shorter with most taking round 30m (in normal) and they're also really varried, no longer 'kill every enemy building on the map to win' type missions, but all sorts of different missions (kill trains to get the goods inside, mine rare minerals on a planet which floods with lava every few minutes, a zombie night/day mission, ...). They kept the basic gameplay from SC1 though (no 3D terrain, zoomed in view, etc), but spiced it up with buyable upgrades, research & mercenaries.

It's also cool that inbetween missions you can talk to the several characters on your ship, watch TV or even play an arcade game. The conversation is a little on the silly side at times, but it's nice to learn some backstory of the characters.

All in all it's not *that* different from SC1, so if you liked SC1 you'll like SC2.

Katsui :: Huldra :: Blades/Assault Rifle
Spookks :: Huldra :: Pistols/Elementalism

xann

• Ravens Member
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 12:03:39 am
Been playing it abit and am suprised at how much im enjoying it. Theres an equation i've seen around that describes it well.

Starcraft 1 + Mass Effect + Firefly = Starcraft 2

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 01:09:27 pm
Gratz on the marriage Brigh and a big /slap for resubbing to WoW ;)

Not sure about SC2. I loved the original and I got a chance to play the beta but found myself getting bored with the gameplay very quickly. But that's mostly because I'm totally burned out on the RTS genre. I don't think I would play SC2 online that much (I always get my arse kicked big time in multiplayer RTS) so is there sufficient 1 player content to make it worthwhile getting?

xann

• Ravens Member
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 10:18:40 am
Zerg Campaign expansion pack coming out soon if anyones interested, Heart of the Swarm.

Never being one for online multiplayer RTS, when i finished the campaign i just left this gathering dust, but have come back to it now and starting to try it out.

Any of you guys got SC2? if u haven't done any/much multiplayer before(niether have i), i'd be up for some practice games if your u've got the time :)

Also, whats every1 playing atm? assuming most of u are still gamers? ;)

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 07:28:20 pm
Nope sorry not got SC2. Did just check if its any cheaper now it's been out for a while but seems still to be full price, so don't think I'll risk it due to my RTS aversion :)

Currently playing LA Noire on the PS3, but it's a little disappointing. Might stick with it but dunno, sounded great but one of those games that doesn't quite manage to implement what it seems to promise.

I have the Withcher II to play, which got great reviews - supposed to be a top RPG (and if you have a decent spec rig apparently looks beautiful with high detail settings, I have to turn everything off and have it at low spec just to even make it playable!). Not really started it yet though.

'Hail to the King!'.... Duke Nukem forever finally out this week....... 'it's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum.....and I'm all outta gum'

Also infamous II out this week which kinda crept up on me, might wait to get that but probably on my list !

Shi

• Chief Nooplet
  • Ravens Officer
  • Lil' Mouf
  • Napping FTW~
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 03:38:23 pm
hey hey guys :)
im falling behind heh, didnt even know the zerg campaign was close to release heh :)
got SC2, played it some after release, i liked it, was ok, but i think the thrill for RTS burned out in me, dunno, just seems i dont enjoy anymore so much the genre...
i'm almost thinking maybe i got the gaming burnout... can't force myself to play anything atm, and trust me i got a pile of good games pc, consoles... im a magpie :)
I saw also Witcher 2 was out.
Is the gameplay style the same Las? I got the nr 1, and I could not come to like the navigation and view in this game :(
Just for the record, maybe some1 is interested, I allready sold the bug to Cern, Witcher is based on polish novel by Sapkowski, it's been translated since a while, and available through amazon.
The guy is really good, considered atm the best polish fantasy writer. Worth a try :)
Gamewise, i was thinking lately "Donkey Kong" for Wii :) haha, anyone maybe tried it?

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 04:07:24 pm
I loved the original SC but when I tried the SC2 beta I just couldn't get into it. I think I'm just burned out on the RTS genre. Getting that way with MMOs now too. Still have a month of my 3 month Rift subs to run but I've not played for several weeks now. Plus, after a week out walking the cliff tops and hills of Cornwall I seem to have lost the gaming bug completely at the moment, sitting in front of a computer is hard to do. I'm sure something will come along and grab my attention, such as SWTOR and GW2 when they are eventually released. But the MMO I'm keeping an eye on is The Secret World which looks very interesting from the podcasts I've seen. Though as we all know, what the devs say they intend and what actually happens when the suits get their grubby hands on a game are two different things.

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 06:39:26 pm
pfft, don't any of you want to kick ass and chew bubble gum ? ;)

Shi - not played Withcher II at all yet really, I've only installed at and to be honest I think it might blow my pc up as it's requirments are pretty heavy :) I liked the first Witcher game though so I might not be your best judge anyway ! I am tempted to read the novels, it's quite an interesting world, will look it up.

Cern - sounds like a nice holiday ! Always found the same especially with MMO's when you've been out a few weeks you kinda lose the thread don't you !