Avatar: The Late To The Party Review

Cernos · 3579

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
on: May 04, 2010, 06:09:44 pm
Well I finally got round to seeing Avatar, on DVD as I never did make it to the cinema. It was exactly as I expected: visually stunning, generally entertaining but with a vacuous plot, heaps of cinematic cliches and mono-dimensional characters.

It could and should have been so much better if they'd bothered to put as much attention to detail into the plot and character development as they did the visuals. Even just one or two unexpected plot twists and characters that weren't wooden Hollywood steroetypes would have helped enormously. But it just progressed down the same old boy meets girl, girl falls for boy against the odds, boy and girl save the world routine. Even the action sequences, as impressively animated as they were, adhered strictly to Hollywood fight sequence cliches.

The plot was on such obvious rails that you couldn't even say the story "unfolded". There were no "I didn't see that coming" moments, no surprises to make you jump in your seat and very little emotional attachment to any of the characters (no need to discreetly blink away the tears in this movie). Any plot elements not stolen from Dances With Wolves and several other films were probably written on the back of a beer mat, although the sad fact is that even such a vapid script probably had many many hours of work put into it.

Thematically it plunders without remorse from all manner of other films, video games, art, literature and human cultures. The wildlife and environments of Pandora are beautifully realised, if a little too earth-like (although that can be forgiven, viewers need points of reference).

All this said, I *did* enjoy it and will probably watch it again. But only because it is such a huge visual feast, I don't expect to spot any plot developments or dialogue I missed the first time around :)

xann

• Ravens Member
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 09:10:36 pm
Spot on Cern, begs the question if a film with such spectalur visuals can actuly have the plot and acting to back it up, or will one always cancel out the other... I can't remeber a film with great effects and great acting/plot to accompany it. I didn't like Star Trek that much... Watchman was ok.

Unobtanium /facepalm

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 10:53:55 pm
I don't think the two necessarily cancel each other out. But the problem is that special effects are something you can quantify, you get a very visible return for the money invested (literally bangs for bucks), whereas a good story is less easy to quantify and develop. Also, the more money you throw into making a film, the less willing the film studio are to take risks. Hence all too often they fall back on tried and trusted cliches because they know these work sufficiently to pull in enough punters to make the film a financial success.

When a film like Avatar can be so skewed towards style over substance and still be hugely popular and even please most of the critics, then this just makes it even less likely that the next film will try and do something different. Which has been the Hollywood model for decades and increasingly we are seeing it in the video games industry too. As the budgets required to produce a film or game grow ever higher the less and less likely the studio is to take risks.

As for unobtanium ... facepalm indeed. At first I thought it was an in-joke made by the character, but when I realised it was actually the name they had give the metal ... oh dear.

Spot on Cern, begs the question if a film with such spectalur visuals can actuly have the plot and acting to back it up, or will one always cancel out the other... I can't remeber a film with great effects and great acting/plot to accompany it. I didn't like Star Trek that much... Watchman was ok.

Unobtanium /facepalm

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 11:51:18 am
Yup I'd agree with that. Although it was a spectacular visual treat wasn't it, well worth watching again imo just for that.

I agree the plot was not brilliant, I also hate it when the movie world tries to make some kind of political statements as well (e.g. occupying forces in a country, or green issues). Though as you say Cern many others have done it far better already.