Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
on: May 16, 2009, 12:38:00 am
Thought I'd sum up this game.

Pretty good, basic gfx, good gameplay, turn based hex map.  Various types of units and various promotions all good standard fantasy fare.  It is complex whilst still being simple to pick up and play.  It is supposed to get brutally hard at later levels but I have not seen that yet, only 3 or 4 lvls in.  However there are crashing bugs associated with it, I don't know how many people suffer them but for me it freezes up my pc.  I went and dled the latest drivers (185.85) and that removed my nvidia control panel causing lowest resolution and hz, so I ended up using the 182 drivers.  Still crashes though :(

Review summary.  Well worth buying if you're into turn based strat but wait a couple of months for them to work the bugs out of it.  I'd be having fun if I coud play it :)

Sax.

<Currently thinking of something amazing to write ...>

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 09:15:04 am
loooks interesting sax, how would you compare to Civ (without all the bugs ofc!). Is it more about managing the armies and units etc?

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 09:25:29 pm
Its a different beast entirely.  No city or town management, no base building at all.  You get an army, the more successful you are the larger your choice of units becomes.  Units gain xp, have a unit strength and can rest mid battle to regain unit strength, the more they are wounded though the lower their total unit strength becomes (injured vs fatalities).  You get xp, magic items and special upgrades like Forest Wardens.  Archer units can support those in melee by firing out of sequance.  The map is hexagonal, so it's all about unit placement and the quicker you complete your missions the more extra units you get as a bonus.  It's both simple and deep if that makes sense.  I really like it but don't like having to reboot my pc every 30 mins to play it :(

Sax.

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 08:11:00 am
Sounds good sax, lemmie know if the patch(es) sort it out and i might add to the list of games i need to play ! :)

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 06:27:35 pm
Stupid game is so fricking hard even on normal!!