DAOC Scam and GOA ?

Lasiien · 4356

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
on: January 30, 2009, 12:49:18 pm
So i got something odd today, wondered if any of you did too? Got an email pretending to be from Dark Age of Camelot Europe that had my name and account perfectly right, and said my account had been reopened. There is included a pretend link to camelot-europe.com masking a really nasty link to some horrible other place (have not clicked to find out of course).

Like most of you I'm used to getting these kinda spam emails, but these people actually have my correct daoc account name, thats not something you can just guess. What are GOA doing with our info ? Anyone else seen similar ? (or possibly this might serve as a warning i hope). Perhaps the oddest thing though is that GOA actually had no record of my account as I know this for a fact when trying to get the DAOC veteran goodies in WAR, mucho mucho oddness.

eKo

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 01:25:33 pm
Sure you played DAoC? ;D

Yeah got the mails as well, which was weird as got another mail earlier this week saying my DAoC account was closed. No idea what's going on, but doesn't look like GOA is very secure and why am I not surprised? They did indeed get both account names right (I even forgot I registered one on my mother's name).

Katsui :: Huldra :: Blades/Assault Rifle
Spookks :: Huldra :: Pistols/Elementalism

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 05:14:35 pm
I got these emails too. First one announcing they were offering a chance to play Daoc for 7 days free to celebrate the 7th anniversary of Daoc EU. Then an email saying my account had been opened and a dodgy link that seems to go through orange.fr Aren't GOA part of France Telecom, and Orange part of the same group, so perhaps this is legitimate?

My guess is that it is a legitimate email from GOA, just bungled in their usual way and perhaps a scam by them to try and reopen accounts again, they'd best not activate any old credit card details or there will be a legal storm. I doubt they are that stupid.

The fact that the email saying a free period was available arrived a full 24 hours after said free period actually started is VERY GOA ... scammers would never be so slack :)

If it is genuine, I confess I'm curious as to who might actually log in. But if GOA think I'm going to legitimise any attempt by them to re-open my Daoc account and potentially scam me again, they can go feck themselves.

eKo

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 06:14:58 pm
I never even got the 7 free days mail, just a mail that my account would soon be terminated and then now the mail that my account(s) have been opened. Did check the website and noticed they have indeed opened old accounts for 7 days for its 7th birthday, but jeez can't they ever do something right :). And the way the link is goes to an orange.fr website and then gets redirected to the official DAoC site doesn't inspire confidence either.

Katsui :: Huldra :: Blades/Assault Rifle
Spookks :: Huldra :: Pistols/Elementalism

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 06:38:26 pm
wow, could have sworn it was a scam :) (mine was orange.fr too) Good old GOA eh ?

They also said in WAR that they couldn't find any record of my DAOC account but have now reopened it and emailed me about it ? Pfft :)