Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
on: September 25, 2006, 02:37:04 pm
Sup,

Quick question to those who r IT savvy, approx how much does online gaming use a month in dl'ing data.  Assuming no dl of films or music just online gaming and web browsing.  Would a 2 gig limit be enough, I have never had issues before but am about to move house and wanna make sure the internet connection is up to it.

Sax.

<Currently thinking of something amazing to write ...>

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 03:08:29 pm
Well I don't have any exact figures but I think most MMORPGs like WoW that have fixed downloadable patches (rather than dynamic patching on the fly) will be using somewhere in the region of 10 MB per hour of data transmission. This figure will be a lot higher for FPS games as much more data needs sending between the server and you. I'm not sure about DDO but would think it'd be similar to WoW, in the 10 MB / hr ballpark.

So, leaving aside patch downloads, a 2 GB limit gives you approx 200 hours of gaming. Should be plenty for all except the horribly addicted :D

Of course that assumes you do nothing else with your net connection. Trouble is there's always games patches, Windows Update patches, web surfing, those annoyingly huge joke email attachments people love to send and so on. So in reality your 2 GB probably won't go as far as you'd like. But still should be able to get a fair amount of mileage out of a 2GB limit. Just make sure you have an upgrade option to a less restrictive package if it turns out you need it.

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 06:28:42 pm
what cern said ;)

If you're not moving for a little while you can download some freeware type products that monitor bandwidth use and you can tell from that how much you use in the average gaming session or something. Think stuff like netlimiter monitor does that and is freeware (link here) though im pretty sure there are other tools that do the same sorta thing as well (though i've never really had call to use them myself, you may find the reporting is a bit limited)

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 09:58:55 pm
Nah your both singing to the same tune so I'm sure your right, I don't tend to play as much as I once did and even if a load of games r released which r the nuts, I doubt I'll log more than 30 hrs a week max, which leaves about 60 hrs for other stuff.  If I start getting proper addicted or play Savage 2 alot (a FPS) then I can always increase the amount.

Sax.

<Currently thinking of something amazing to write ...>