Saxif · 6647

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
on: March 29, 2006, 05:20:25 pm
Found this today, I'm prolly gonna give it a go, and see how it effects my play experiance, kinda add one per evening and see what I think.  Thought I might let those of you who are more pc savvy look over it and see what you think, though I am sure everything they have put on this thread is on the level.

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article.asp?CIID=36222

Sax.

<Currently thinking of something amazing to write ...>

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 05:25:56 pm
I only really bother to optimise online mmo/fps games as reaction speed does kinda matter and usually ends up with me turning the settings down not up :)

With single player games I'm of the opinion 'if it ain't broke dont fix it' :) Looks and plays perfectly well on my PC (which is only a P2.4ghz but with a decent gfx card and 2gb memory). Lets us know if you get anything startling though :)

As far as editing files go, just whatever you do make sure you copy it first so you can get back to the original settings. Though the worst that can happen is you have to reinstall and might lose your saved games i guess.

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 08:38:53 pm
Thanks for the link Sax. Game arrived today, just spent a few hours exploring and getting out of the starter area. Impressed so far. I've run into one nasty bug though, get a permanent black screen during NPC interaction sometimes. Only get it with HDR turned on. Seems from forums others have had the same problem with Nvidia cards (got a 6800GT her, latest drivers).

Will give the tweaks a try. The FOV to 90 (from 75) would be a good one (easier on my eyes) if the menus worked in 90 degree view. Sadly they don't at the moment, maybe they'll patch it.

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 10:34:35 am
Think I'll give the pea soup tweak a try, now its been pointed out to me I notice it, that and Blood Decals.

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 02:51:31 pm
The pea soup one works, though if you set it too high it can knock your FPS a bit. There's two tweaks which have really helped for me. The PreloadSizeLimit one and the Nvidia coolbits tweak to reduce the frames rendered ahead to 0. I've had to switch off the fancy shadows because even with a 6800GT at 1600x1200 it's all too much (only to be expected at 1600x1200 though).

I've been getting the black screen regularly with HDR turned on - it's not gfx overheating (as some on the forums suggest) because it can happen immediately or after 30 mins and my gfx card runs very cool anyway. But the game is gorgeous enough in normal 2x/4x anti-aliasing mode until they patch a fix.

Geeky stuff aside .... what a game! Loving it so far.

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 02:54:22 pm
Whats the difference between anti-aliasing and HDR, I know AA is the gfx card rendering detail near or far depending on what you set it to.

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 03:56:27 pm
HDR is a different lighting model, so things like beams of light, light reflecting off of wet rock and so on look much more real with HDR. The downside with it is that in certain situations everything glows a bit too much, bit like looking at the world in 'angel glow mode'. Even if I didn't crash with HDR enabled I think certain aspects of the game look better in 4x AA mode anyway. But when there's things like a dark place with beams of light breaking through from cracks in the roof, the HDR effects are stunning   ..... until the screen goes black mid combat :D

Best explanation I could find about what HDR actually does is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_rendering

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 02:36:53 pm
Found this on VNboards, I haven't looked into it yet as I am at work, but the response seems very positive.

http://vnboards.ign.com/the_elder_scrolls_general_board/b22213/96002566/p1/?15

Sax.

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 04:00:24 pm
Thanks for the pointer Sax. Might give that a try as the default distance textures are a bit ugly. I have to be careful with anything that has a performance hit though as I'm rather at the edge due to having to run the game at 1600 x 1200 (my LCD monitor's native resolution). Looks damn stunning at that resolution, but I've had to turn off some of the fancy pants effects like dynamic shadows (unless all I want to do is stand still and gawp at the scenery).

I did get quite a lot of performance improvements running through the tweaks suggested in this guide:

http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_1.html

Have a look, might be useful to you. It's a bit wordy, but the guy does seem to know what he's talking about (unlike many who post on the official Oblivion boards with tweaks that just make matters worse).