Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
on: October 03, 2005, 01:30:22 pm
G'day Folks,

Rumour has it this game is to be released in Novemeber, prolly via dl online.  Its a game with alot of new and innovative ideas (or seems that way to me), and a player driven story line (or billed that way).  However it turns out it defineatly seems to be moving away from the old cookie cutter mmorpg's and taking a step forwards.

The only problem, and it could be significant is that (and this is hear-say and my own view) it isn't finished and will be released in a poor state.  The game from what I know was made by a small grp of ppl, and I believe they are running out of cash, so have to ship the game to recoup thier costs.  Usually a bad launch will lead to a game with a small number of sunscribers, as ppl cancel accounts in droves, and once this happens those folks rarely come back.

However I defineatly think it is worth checking out, and as long as the core game play is decent I think it'll be worth sticking with.  Check the link below for all the info you could want about the game.

http://www.darkandlight.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22839

Sax.

With regards the question of Dark or Light, I hope to see you folks on the Dark Side (insert Star Wars puns as appropriate!!!)  :D

<Currently thinking of something amazing to write ...>

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 02:45:02 pm
Guess it all depends on whether the bits left unfinished are the icing or the cake itself. If the core mechanics of the game are correct and people can have fun, then they should be ok and raise enough funds from the launch to continue development.

DAOC was pretty unfinished and bug ridden at launch but the game engine was just about robust enough and the game world compelling enough that people could still have fun (even if it meant regular stops while someone rebooted due to having a psychadelic experience with the graphics). Of course some of the bugs at launch were still in the game after three expansions, but that's another matter :D

Eve Online was badly unfinished at launch - definitely put me off, I tried the beta and it was a nightmare but they must have pulled it around as it's still going. And we all know about how unfinished SWG was - they were just lucky that the sheer popularity of the Star Wars franchise got them through what was essentially a shockingly unfinished game at launch. I remember trying it some time after launch and still feeling it was unfinished, so can only imagine.

One of the things that struck me about WoW was how polished it felt at launch. But as we all know now, that's because Blizzard focused on getting the PvE side of things polished for launch and hadn't paid much attention to how PvP would really work ... something the game is still struggling with in my view.

Guess it all comes down to whether the unfinishedness of a game at launch impedes gameplay and even if it does, is the game world compelling enough for people to persevere or if there's a major corporate backer or not.

Anyway, probably will give DnL a try when it launches.

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 03:21:27 pm
Hadn't really been following it, read a bit on your link and sounds cool (as all these things do in the blurb). Will maybe try it but dunno (I don't have the time to play two MMO's thats for sure !:))

Grimly

• Ravens Member
  • Shut Yer Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 01:36:06 pm
Sounds very interesting, but in a slightly worrying "bit off more than they can chew" way! Especially in light of what you're saying about having to rush the launch....

No doubt worth a look though!

Darkly.

Etharion

• Ravens Guest
  • Ravens Officer
  • Shut Yer Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 08:58:42 pm
Lo again :)

Definatly going to try DnL aswell myself and know a couple of more ppl that are going to play it when it comes out.

Would be fun if we can play on the same server once more, if there's more than one that is...

Greetings,
Etha

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 10:31:48 pm
Sup Etha, good to hear from you.  

Think there will be only one server for DnL from what I have read; earlier I said i'd play Dark, but might play Light as they seem to be more likely to be undermanned, think I saw a poll which put it at about 45% - 55% (not alot of diff I know).  Though tbh I dont mind which side we choose.

There has been a pretty major announcement for DnL, and it seems a 5 - 6 month open free beta will be starting next month.  This is kinda good as it allows those that are interested to get in amongst it and start playing, and kinda bad as by the end of it in April when the game hits the shelves it'll be alot more polished and contain more content.

Though I'll be playing asap tbh, and a Warrior type this time round  :D

Check out the clicky for the latest info ...

http://www.darkandlight.net/sog/indexEN.html

Anyway take it easy for now,

Sax.

edit:-  Found this ....

Stats

Dark 52%

Light 48%

Sorcerer   11%

Illusionist   4%

Enchanter   3%

Necro   10%

Amazon   2%

Bard   4%

Rogue   9%

Ranger   13%

Druid   6%

Cleric   6%

Paladin   7%

Monk   5%

Warrior   8%

Shadow K.   13%

eKo

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 09:23:00 am
Free open beta? Cool!

Checked it out a bit and I wanna be a Fairy!
And probably gonna start a Gnome druid too!
Ooh, amazon looks nice too, and monk, and ...

Looks like I'll have lots of alts again. :p.

Katsui :: Huldra :: Blades/Assault Rifle
Spookks :: Huldra :: Pistols/Elementalism

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 09:38:16 am
You are banned from this game imo eko :)

Sax, why roll a warrior when you could be a mage/tank ? :)

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 09:51:34 am
Cos I dont wanna be the reason for all your grey hairs Las  :D

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: October 18, 2005, 11:21:31 am
too late ! :)

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #10 on: October 18, 2005, 02:40:51 pm
ah well i'll get over it!   ;)

/em evil cackle!

eKo

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 08:33:08 pm
Quote from: Lasiien
You are banned from this game imo eko :)

Too late, I signed up this morning, muahaha  :p.

Hope everyone remembered to sign up!

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #12 on: December 09, 2005, 10:36:35 am
I think your one of the lucky ones mate, the free keys went in less than a minute.  I applied at 18:02 and was told I was to late, seems ppl from every corner of the world are queing up to try DnL ...

You'll have to keep us updated with an unbiased view of what the games like eko :)

Sax.

eKo

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #13 on: December 10, 2005, 01:47:03 pm
I had late shift this week, so signed up in the morning. Downloaded the game now as well, but have to wait till the 13th or so before it starts.

Expect to have plenty of reports of the low level areas as I roll & reroll new characters :p.

Bah, looks like I won't be able to play a Fairy in SoG, guess I'll go for Gnome Druid and who knows what else ;).

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #14 on: December 10, 2005, 04:32:08 pm
editeditedit