(Huge) Change to honour rewards in 1.6 (maybe)

Lasiien · 6722

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
on: June 28, 2005, 11:31:11 am

Ozymandias

Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 12:25:03 pm
That helps us less-frequent players a bit.

Cool

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 01:39:10 pm
tbh I am not sure I really like this change.

Also something that Carke posted ...

Bad change.

This is only going to worsen the gear gap between melees and casters, because the high-end melee rewards increase character power much more than their caster counterparts.

Blizzard clearly doesn't want people to play casters.

I haven't really looked into this myself yet, was wondering if this is the general consensus?

<Currently thinking of something amazing to write ...>

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 01:52:34 pm
That thread is just hysterical imo. They are mostly talking about the epic sets from rank 11+ and the epic weapons (rank 14). There are not going to be *that* many people that get up there anyway, and if they do they are likely to be very active pvp'ers. The way some people talk in the thread is that everyone can have access to this after a couple of weeks in the BG's.

What I like about this change is that you can take a break on pvp maybe for a week or two, lose rank but not lose equipment that you earned. I don't see such a big issue when we're talking about the blue sets (for which I only want 1-2 pieces max anyway). As above, there are not many that will see purple sets, and then they'll just stop pvp'ing?

On the caster vs melee argument, it's been going around for a while. And it's a fair one really, in that the really high end caster stuff does not make as big a difference as the melee stuff. I think they do need to boost the caster items a little, but caster v melee balance has always been a problem in any game of this type tbh. At the moment I don't see overwhelming evidence to say melee > casters, but I guess that might change as more people get better gear (would happen anyway regardless of this change).

Ozymandias

Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 01:54:52 pm
http://www.affliction.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1208

Loads of information regarding the new recipies and a peek at some of the new set art.

Warlocks with Horns :O)  About time we started to look a bit more demonic.

Herne - no need to worry - your lot get to wear lots of twigs and leaves.
 ;)

Carcophan

• Raven Guard
  • Ravens Member
  • Shut Yer Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 01:55:53 pm
I think this is a good change.  Makes sense you need some standing to aquire the reward, made no sense if you suddenly found yourself unable to use it anymore.

The point of melee vs caster at 60+ is a sepperate issue i have seen much gripe about on the forums.  In theory i have to say it looks grim for casters we get our top spells at 60 and little to improve them whilst melee classes get upgrades from every kit increase (This is all theorycraft to me though)

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 02:02:33 pm
The improvement for Casters is in the +damage etc. I cant say about other sets but i find with the priest stuff it's very hard to get a large amount of +damage without sacrificing some INT or STA. You get to the situation where you ask is *up to* 150 shadow damage really worth say 500 mana and 300 hps....

Part of the argument is the *up to* part, in that not all the damage will apply. The flipside is melee DPS upgrades affect everything. A 60 dps Axe say is clearly a huge damage upgrade from a 50dps one (it's not *up to* 10 dps more), plus the new 60dps Axe with have better +stats to boot i should imagine.

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 03:23:18 pm
Personally I don't see why you should lose rank if you take a break for RL or to play an alt. But if that's the system they've designed, then at least allowing people to keep the gear they've earned (and perhaps enchanted or built into 'templates') is a reasonable compromise.

As for melee versus caster, it's all very situational. I don't see melees doing very well in Alterac Valley. My Shaman does great there with bolts and shocks but dies horribly within seconds of getting into melee range. Warriors don't fare much better, lasting a few seconds longer perhaps. Paladins only survive because of their shields but aren't much threat, more of a distraction. Even overpowered rogues seem to find Alterac tough going.

Smaller scale PvP and Warsong Gulch gives melees more chance to shine, but I still see casters doing very well in this situation too.

I suspect the reason they won't let casters have the same endgame DPS increase from gear as melees is they know that if they did that then there'd be the situation of being able to completely obliterate melee opponents from range before they can do anything. Sounds familiar ....

Herne

Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 09:29:31 am
So how long until the WG assist train ubergroups are formed? 4 crit specced  Arcanite Reaper warriors and 1 Priest.

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 10:36:15 am
1.6 going live in US today it seems, maybe tomorrow for us then

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile