Shi

• Chief Nooplet
  • Ravens Officer
  • Lil' Mouf
  • Napping FTW~
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 08:32:01 pm
heheh cool :) Cern, what class was that actually?:)
still wondering, i see ya shooting stuff from range, but since anyone can :) hmm :)

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 10:17:17 pm
heheh cool :) Cern, what class was that actually?:)
still wondering, i see ya shooting stuff from range, but since anyone can :) hmm :)

Warrior. Every class gets a viable ranged option in GW2. Rifle is quite a hard hitting weapon for Warrior and actually viable as a primary weapon. Good thing is you can switch seamlessly between primary and secondary weapon. So in PvP you can equip both a ranged and a melee weapon and switch between them as needed.

Brigh

• Ravens Officer
  • Big Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 02:21:21 pm
Anyone playing this yet - if so which server?

Got my copy of the game in the post yesterday and I'm currently installing it so might be able to get on later on tonight

Kilgour LVL 80 Gnome Rogue WOW
Kilgour LVL 70 BE Warlock WOW
Brigheiss LVL 70 Orc Warrior WOW
Brigh BR23 CR2 NC Planetside Gemini
Brigh BR26 CR3 TR Planetside Werner

eKo

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 04:22:52 pm
Yeah, I pre-ordered it since I knew I'd play it anyway ;). Started on Gunnars Hold as a guildie said he'd play over there.

It feels I spent most of my time in the character generator (/wave Las) rather then playing though, but what I played so far was fun, especially the Asura quests. Combat felt weird at first since your skills change depending on which weapon type you wield in mainhand & offhand and if you're underwater or not. The graphics are really nice and the animations especially are very smooth, such a change after SWTOR & The Secret World which both had much more stiff/wooden animations.

The PvE events are chaotic, but fun, seems almost impossible not to get a gold medal unless you joined near the end. So far I'm really enjoying it.

Katsui :: Huldra :: Blades/Assault Rifle
Spookks :: Huldra :: Pistols/Elementalism

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 07:10:15 pm
I'm on the Gandara server. English speaking server and unofficially a UK server. Friendly folks.

Currently playing an Asura Engineer called Cerno and having a total blast. PVE is indeed a bit chaotic with so many people about, but actually I LOVE the fact that it feels like a proper MMO and not a single player RPG with all these public dynamic events and everyone helping out. Wonderful.

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 12:50:07 pm
Seems the official release is tomorrow for the game, at least according to Amazon.  I was in 2 minds about it but think I might splash for a copy, prolly give the newbie areas a week or so to calm down, might order it for next weekend.

Prolly play a warrrior or rogue type toon.

I have however been tempted by some WoW as well ...

<Currently thinking of something amazing to write ...>

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 01:04:41 pm
I have however been tempted by some WoW as well ...

Panda's ? Really ? :)

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 01:09:18 pm
It feels I spent most of my time in the character generator (/wave Las) rather then playing though,

hehe :) It does look like a good character gen though :)

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 01:31:30 pm
Well I got my Engineer to level 16 yesterday. First 13 levels in PVE and last 3 in WvW (RvR). Not had so much fun in a MMO in years. The PVE I knew would be fun. But the WvW I wasn't sure about because in beta action was patchy because most people were exploring PVE. But the numbers were out in force yesterday and it wasn't just zerg vs zerg because the maps are big and you need to control supply lines or else you can't defend the main keeps. No supply = no repairs and no building seige weapons. So opportunities for skirmishes too. But the big keep seiges are where the action is at. I actually found them more fun than New Frontiers DAOC, but not as fun as classic Old Frontiers, but those were golden days never repeated.

Gandara is shaping up to be a very good server for WvW. There's a good WvW spirit and players are friendly and co-operate a lot, respondong to strategy rather than just mindlessly zerging. We were matched against Desolation who were considered the strongest server in beta and we kicked their backsides. Some crazy crazy battles long into the early hours.

It's early days of course, but I'm totally loving it so far. Engineer is a good choice for WvW, lots of range stuff and not too squishy.

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 03:41:33 am
An update on the Gandara server. It is sometimes showing as full, I think because of recent successes in WvW. If you want to join Shi and me who have toons there, keep trying. It fluctuates depending on time of day and you'll get a chance to create on there if you keep trying. I would say it's probably worth it, seems a nice server. Once you've managed to roll your first toon on a server it becomes your home worldand  you don't need to worry about it being full or not for logging in and subsequent toon, you can always log in. However if the zone you are playing in is too full you can get placed into overflow.

Overflow is a temporary server. This means you can play the game and do quests while you queue to join your home world. The only thing you can't do from an overflow server is join WvW. Overflow servers are made up of people from all servers and languages, so if you're seeing more French or German than you expected, this will be why. It's a nice system because it means you can play while you queue and once a slot in your home world becomes free you move there (if you wish, you can choose not to if mid quest).

Note: there's no overflow for capital cities. So if you log out in your capital you'll always log into your home world (but might have to go via overflow if you zone to a quest zone).

Brigh

• Ravens Officer
  • Big Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #25 on: August 29, 2012, 08:58:11 am
Managed to create a character last night on Gandara, as Cern mentions it sometimes shows as full but I waited 30 minutes and tried again and it had dropped down to medium so I was able to get in.

Initial impressions - I really enjoyed it, I've created a ranger, as I didn't bother reading any instructions before playing so it was fun and chaotic which was a welcome change. Picked up a couple of professions last night and started crafting as you get some nice XP from creating recipes.

I will try and get on as often as I can but I have some more Open University exams coming up which I need to study for.

Brigh :D

Kilgour LVL 80 Gnome Rogue WOW
Kilgour LVL 70 BE Warlock WOW
Brigheiss LVL 70 Orc Warrior WOW
Brigh BR23 CR2 NC Planetside Gemini
Brigh BR26 CR3 TR Planetside Werner

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #26 on: August 30, 2012, 07:36:46 pm
Are the servers down or something?  I can't download anything, who's idea was it to have a disc that caused a DL to start anyway?!

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #27 on: August 30, 2012, 07:53:48 pm
It seems my AVG Firewall was stopping the DL from starting, disabled it so am running without a Firewall right now and it started, I hope it also finishes!

Is it me, or am I plagued by a disproportionate number of pc problems?

::)

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: August 30, 2012, 08:26:37 pm
Rather than fully disabling your firewall you just need to open specific ports for the GW2 client. The ones it needs are TCP ports 80, 443, 6112 and 6600.

Also, if you connect with a broadband or cable router (rather than just a cable modem) then you will have a hardware firewall, which is miles better than a software firewall and means its safe to disable your software firewall.

Reason you need to patch even with a disc is the disc was probably pressed weeks ago and they've been patching the game pretty regularly leading up to and since launch.

Catch you in game.

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: September 02, 2012, 01:29:02 am
I was messing around with an alt and accidentally left our new guild. I was having trouble with the represent function and clicked on leave guild thinking it would just leave with that alt, but seems its an account-wide thing.

So, since I was GM I've no idea what has happened to the guild. Hopefully it auto promoted someone else to GM. Fingers crossed we haven't lost the points gained so far.