eKo · 26208

eKo

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #30 on: January 07, 2012, 10:46:55 am
Yeah, got my Vanguard to 41 last night and still loving the game. The main thing I wish they'd improve is the LFG tool, I don't want an LFD tool like in WoW, but they should at least have the option to only show people who are LFG & galaxy wide, preferably with some filters. Right now you can flag yourself as LFG & add a comment, but on /who it still lists everyone on your planet (limited to 100), just adds a symbol next to who's LFG. So if you want to group it's mainly spam in General chat.

Even PvP isn't so bad, everyone gets bolstered to 50 (though they intend to make a seperate warzone for lvl 50 now) and the only advantage higher level brings is more abilities. There's 3 warzones: one is where a ball is dropped in the middle and you have to get it to the opponents base which ends up being very chaotic, another is to fight for control over 3 cannons untill you get destroy the enemies' ship and in the last one you have to slice (hack) a terminal, but you need to blast through 2 doors first and attackers and defenders get switched around so you play once as attacker, once as defender. There is some open world PvP on Ilum as well, but I haven't experienced it yet. Part of the fun now is of course that everyone still figuring out what to do. Though I guess you'll get premade teams eventually (not sure you can join with more than 1 group though, kinda hope not).

So far I've liked all the stories I've played through (though I've only done the starter planet with most, only my smuggler is higher than lvl 11).

Katsui :: Huldra :: Blades/Assault Rifle
Spookks :: Huldra :: Pistols/Elementalism

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: January 09, 2012, 10:35:51 am
So I caved in and bought it, tried to resist ! Playing on goodie two shoes Hydian Way atm with a Sage (Lasiien) but will pop by and say hi to you imperials as well :)

Brigh

• Ravens Officer
  • Big Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #32 on: January 09, 2012, 12:35:55 pm
So I caved in and bought it, tried to resist ! Playing on goodie two shoes Hydian Way atm with a Sage (Lasiien) but will pop by and say hi to you imperials as well :)

You Rebel Scum :) just kidding

I suspect I will make an alt at some point on Hydian Way but having so much fun with my Bounty Hunter I don't want to leave him. I've just stole my 1st ship and having a blast with the space missions

Brigh :D

Kilgour LVL 80 Gnome Rogue WOW
Kilgour LVL 70 BE Warlock WOW
Brigheiss LVL 70 Orc Warrior WOW
Brigh BR23 CR2 NC Planetside Gemini
Brigh BR26 CR3 TR Planetside Werner

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: January 09, 2012, 12:58:46 pm
I just got a ship too, but then logged so I suspect I'll have stuff to explore tonight :)

Like the way that the feel is very KOTR,including even having the ship to roam around in.

Think you need to put your BH on a diet though Brigh :D

Brigh

• Ravens Officer
  • Big Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #34 on: January 09, 2012, 02:03:53 pm
fat is the way forward - to many skinny people about

Kilgour LVL 80 Gnome Rogue WOW
Kilgour LVL 70 BE Warlock WOW
Brigheiss LVL 70 Orc Warrior WOW
Brigh BR23 CR2 NC Planetside Gemini
Brigh BR26 CR3 TR Planetside Werner

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: January 09, 2012, 04:15:19 pm
Hehe Las, well you caved in part way, and now you need to cave in fully and come to the Dark Side. Don't make us have to kidnap you :D

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: January 09, 2012, 08:10:55 pm
It's kinda fun that with the old republic lore you can still be dark on the republic side. I won't do a spoiler as it's a republic specific flashpoint, but I had allot of fun being totally evul when my groupmate was all care bear :-)

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: January 09, 2012, 09:15:42 pm
Heh yeah, it works the same Imperial Side, I've been enjoying throwing a spanner in the works with my Light Side choices.

xann

• Ravens Member
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: January 10, 2012, 12:20:30 am
Wavering :P

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: January 10, 2012, 02:47:41 pm
I think Xan in short if you like either Star Wars and/or the Bioware sci fi games (KOTR or Mass Effect) then it's probably worth the purchase even if you treat is as more a single player experience with occasional grouping. With two faction stories to play through and then the extras that different class choices could add I think I could see it lasting for quite some time even if you forget about endgame and all that stuff(you'd probably get your 30 free days worth and well over 60 hours play). It plays allot like KOTR games to me even though the WOW/MMO influence is very obvious. And, it really is well done with all the voice acting etc, as eko says you get into the story much more.

If you are looking at in from an MMO PVE or PVP perspective but not particularly bothered about the above, then i think the jury's out (none of us are at endgame yet - though eko is getting close at level 45 out of 50). As a newly released MMO you can see the usual car crash in the forums that it has all the complaints about endgame, meaningless grinds, class balance blahblahblah :) I don't think it would be a surprise to any of us if quite a bit of that is true, I guess the real warning (or benefit if you like wow allot!) is as others have said is that the mechanics of the game is still kinda similar to the usual MMO format, so don't be expecting allot of new stuff here.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 03:06:00 pm by Lasiien »

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: January 10, 2012, 07:00:45 pm
Agree with all that Las has said. For anyone still wavering:

If you approach SWTOR as a RPG in the vein of KOTR / Mass Effect with the added dimension of online play, grouping, friends to chat to etc, you'll love it. The storylines are great and the different classes all have sufficiently different playstyles and stories that rerolling alts will be fun.

If you approach SWTOR as a PVE raiding replacement for WoW or any other MMO, you'll either love or hate it depending on how burned out you are with the genre. SWTOR does nothing new in this area and all the usual grinds will exist at endgame. Jury is out currently, but I wouldn't expect any break with MMO norms.

If you want PvP in the same vein as WoW or Rift, you *might* find it fun. I've stayed away from PvP so can't comment but the vids I've seen don't inspire.

Is it worth the monthly fee? For a few months, definitely, lots of content to see. Beyond that, it depends where they take the endgame and whether the new content they add is aimed mostly at hardcore raiders or if they're happy to give casuals and semi casuals some things to do at endgame which isn't just daily grinds (more solo and single group missions to develop your character, more companion storylines etc). We'll see.

Shi

• Chief Nooplet
  • Ravens Officer
  • Lil' Mouf
  • Napping FTW~
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #41 on: January 13, 2012, 01:34:32 pm
so only Xann left to convince? or Saxif too?:)
hihi

oh, the game is a blast :) enjoying immensly the journey, exploring the world.
Didnt have to steal my ship, got it as gift hehe, looks kick ass :)
Defo worth the box price and subs, I guess will keep me busy till Diablo 3 hits the shelves :)

xann

• Ravens Member
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: January 17, 2012, 09:46:33 pm
Just to let you know, i won't be playing this, hope you all have some fun though :)

On the MMO front, i might give GW2 a go

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #43 on: January 20, 2012, 10:12:48 pm
Yeah I aint wavering ... Sounds like fun but for some reason I can't seem to find the time to play on the pc.  I try to make more time but I can't, I certainly play <5 hours a week, some weeks I don't even turn it on.  It actually frustrates me from time to time the fact I have no pc time, will try and sort that out and get on it!

Have fun guys :)

<Currently thinking of something amazing to write ...>

xann

• Ravens Member
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: January 24, 2012, 04:48:53 pm
Would be nice to hear updates though, if you're still playing, how its going etc