Deus Ex Human Revolution

Cernos · 9835

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
on: September 08, 2011, 01:19:19 pm
Anyone playing Deus Ex Human Revolution? How are you finding it?

I'm having to play it in easy 'Tell Me A Story' mode as I suck so much at FPS. Really enjoying it though, great story and immersive game world. Trying to take a stealthy approach, only going for non lethal take downs. Mostly because I can't shoot shit anyway! :) I just completed the first mission and got a nice xp bonus for not killing anyone, though was tempted to let the hostages blow, the bunch of whiners :)

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 08:09:53 pm
hehe, yup I am playing it as it was my most anitcipated game of the year really. Finding it very cool (though further along than you)...reminds me much of the first game (which is one of my all time favourites). Also doing a stealthy / non lethal approach atm but will probably do another play through with guns blazing ! :) I think I'm around half way (though its hard to know for sure, i might be a bit further along)... having played about 20 hours or so thats pretty good lengthwise.

Only a couple of negatives so far, but I won't say until you've played further. Don't want spoilers now do we ? :)

xann

• Ravens Member
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 11:22:18 am
Deus Ex. Is not a series i've played.. or even really looked into before. But i arrived late to Mass Effect and really enjoyed that, so might end up playing when its outa date :)

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 01:50:00 pm
The original Deus Ex came out in 2000 and as I say it is probably one of the best games I've ever played (though will obviously look dated now). It was one of the first games to give you a real choice about how you completed a task (stealth, guns blazing, talking enemies around to your point of view etc). There was a sequel but it was a bit meh in comparion.

This game does live up to the heritage of the original. Though having only sneaked around I can't really say yet if the FPS experience / more in your face type combat is decent.

xann

• Ravens Member
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 04:01:59 pm
You think i should play the original for the better overall experience? or would it be best to just get the latest one?

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 06:01:24 pm
You think i should play the original for the better overall experience? or would it be best to just get the latest one?

There's no transfer of characters / game data between the original and the lastest one (unlike say between Mass Effect 1 and 2). Whilst the original was a classic, it is 11 years old now and will look and feel dated. I'd say just pitch in with the latest one, it's a very good game.

Like Las, I can't vouch for how well it plays as a FPS because I'm playing it stealthy. Though just for fun I did try shooting my way out of the police station once I'd sweet-talked my way in and then got caught attempting to hack their security systems (oops). It was total carnage until I ran out of ammo :)

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 07:51:48 pm
lol cern :)

Yeah Xan just get this one, I imagine the original will look very dated now.

xann

• Ravens Member
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 11:36:41 am
ok thanks :) i'll prolly buy it on steam later today, been awhile since i played a new game :)

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 10:17:02 pm
I just found a sniper rifle and a lovely laser sight upgrade and ..... erm ...... oh the temptation .... bang (quite literally) goes my achievement for getting through the game without killing anyone :)

But they were mercs and deserved it, or that's my weak justification anyway .....

Still going to play it mostly stealthy as I'm useless at head on gunfights, but now I got a little red dot of doom to play with :)

eKo

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 10:08:05 pm
Hehe yeah, shame you can't put a silencer on it though ... instead I put the silencer + laser sight on my combat rifle :).

It's a great game, really reminds me of the original with the multiple approaches. And yeah you don't need to have played the original as it's a prequel and you'll only miss out on some references.

Katsui :: Huldra :: Blades/Assault Rifle
Spookks :: Huldra :: Pistols/Elementalism

Shi

• Chief Nooplet
  • Ravens Officer
  • Lil' Mouf
  • Napping FTW~
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 08:30:26 pm
not played, but tempted to try reading your opinions :)
been busy with Dungeons Siege lately, cool game, altho im still somewhere in the middle
im terrible with finishing games, games with no end suit me best hehe (mmos?:P)

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 10:42:44 pm
Been really enjoying Deus Ex, playing mostly stealthy and non lethal with the odd 'accident' along the way. But I'm currently stuck at the second boss. It's hard to have to fight these bosses head on when you've been sneaking around the rest of the game.

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 04:40:49 pm
I agree Cern going for a stealth/pacifist run. I invested a couple of points in the typhoon aug thingie especially for that, whilst it doesn't kill bossess it does stun them long enough to deal them plenty of damage :)

Its totally uselss elsewhere but for just 2 points it made all the boss encounters easier.

I just completed my game last night, but fairly annoyed it didn't award me the pacifist achievement. I know I didn't kill anyone directly by my own hand but seems some other action somewhere may have made me miss it.....qq !

p.s. hihi Shi :)

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 04:52:44 pm
I just completed my game last night, but fairly annoyed it didn't award me the pacifist achievement. I know I didn't kill anyone directly by my own hand but seems some other action somewhere may have made me miss it.....qq !

Apparently you can fail the pacifist achievement if you kill someone in the prologue. Somewhat unfair, as most people haven't a clue what's going on in the prologue in their first run through. I know I definitely killed someone in the prologue (I had no clue about how to perform non lethal takedowns) which is why I'm not too bothered about my moments of blood lust with the sniper rifle :D

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 07:33:38 pm
Nope, i didn't kill anyone there (had a good idea from the start that I wanted to complete it stealth+pacifist). I did use robots to kill people though sometimes, as I had read that doesn't count against you......but hrm maybe it does.