World Cup

Brigh · 22827

xann

• Ravens Member
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 12:16:09 am
I think the goal keeping area is an issue, been swaping and switching there for ages with no sign of who our number 1 was until the usa game. Then he losses us the 3 points (yeah, hes to blame) and some of us are now left wondering who rly should be in goal....

ok we SHOULD have won anyway, but we didn't. Heskey played rly well imo, and ofc would of got a 10/10 for putting that chance away, but we knew he wouldn't. I'd also like to see our "world class" Striker on the ball more. I've always thought Rooneys incredibly hyped for how good he actuly is... I think defoe would latch on to more of those knock ons from Heskey.

Been hearing from commentators and pundits that they are unhappy with the play style, 1 long ball and hope for the best... we brought Heskey and Crouch as 2 of our strikers, what did they think our bread and butter attacking football was gonna look like?

But nvm, knew usa would be tough, we'll see how England fair againt the might of Algeria and Slovenia.

oh dear Spain... we thought England had a bad game :o

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 10:51:28 am
Yeah, i didn't watch the spain game cos I was working, what happened there then? Nightmare!

Hart should be our keeper if Copello really picked on form, he was on fire at the end of the season. Never been a fan of Green and don't think he's really done it for West Ham this season either, James is ok (actually way better than he used to be) but he is aging. I guess there is something to say for a major tournament about picking an experienced player over a rookie, but I think Green was always the wrong choice myself.

Biggest England disappointment for me is we spent years proving that Gerrad and Lampard can't play in the middle together, yet we keep reverting back to it. Sometimes you just have to leave the big names out even if it hurts egos and reputations.

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 11:45:26 am
Biggest England disappointment for me is we spent years proving that Gerrad and Lampard can't play in the middle together, yet we keep reverting back to it. Sometimes you just have to leave the big names out even if it hurts egos and reputations.

Exactly. This is what Spain do, they left out Fabregas because he didn't fit into their system and only used Torres as a substitute. Mind you, it didn't help them. Spain didn't actually play that badly but found it very hard to break down a Swiss team who seem to have made defence an artform. The match had 0-0 written all over it until the Swiss bundled in a goal (literally). But the scoreline doesn't reflect the number of chances in the game, it was a great to watch.

I agree about Rob Greene. Capello should either go for experience in James, or a genuine up and coming rookie in Hart. Both have been in top form for their clubs this season. Greene falls between two stools and has had a poor domestic season anyway, so was never the best choice.

I also agree Heskey played well in his support role. But surely there are other stikers who could do equally well in support yet also pose a threat of their own (in the current squad, Crouch). Strikers need to score not just make chances. When Heskey went 1 on 1 with the keeper, had you frozen the frame I would have confidentally bet everything I own on Heskey not scoring. Those chances come along once or twice in a match and you have to take them. Controversial thought maybe, but how about Wayne Rooney plays support to another out and out striker like Defoe? Guess his ego couldn't take it.

Until the England team are brave enough to drop Heskey forever, drop either Lampard or Gerrard and to solve the goalkeeping debacle then they are just sitting in a queue for the plane home.

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: June 19, 2010, 09:21:16 am
oh dear oh dear...

xann

• Ravens Member
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: June 19, 2010, 11:56:01 am
Dire, but strangely funny to watch  :D  I'm suprised J. Cole hasn't had a run out yet. Carco said the paper headlines should be "Wayne Whooney?"

Also, i'm positive Leeds would have schooled that England team last night :P

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: June 19, 2010, 12:43:02 pm
England were dismal, awful, terrible, woeful and any number of similar adjectives. But at least they weren't this:

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 10:43:54 pm
Well, the script is going according to plan. Woeful start followed by a dramatic recovery. And here comes yet another German showdown with the possibility of Argentina beyond. So a heroic exit after a plucky but ultimately doomed performance in the last 16 or quarter finals beckons once more. I think we'll beat Germany only for Maradonna to get one over on England once more. You'd think it was almost arranged in advance!

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 01:08:38 pm
hehe, i wouldnt bet against it :)

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: June 25, 2010, 10:05:47 am
wow, Italy as well. At least England is not the biggest disgrace of the big teams :)

xann

• Ravens Member
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: June 28, 2010, 01:14:37 am
Really bad deffending.

Would the game have unfolded differently with the 2nd goal being given?

Did the league season take alot out of the players?

Is Wayne Rooney the most overratted footballer in the world?

That was the last chance for the big names, i wonder what kind of talent we'll have for next time round...

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: June 29, 2010, 12:30:29 pm
bleeeeeerghh :)

So are you all sticking with original predictions? I think I will stick with the Dutch :)

Brazil looked good last night though, who'd have thought a Brazilian team would have a decent defence !

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: June 29, 2010, 12:41:44 pm
Brazil do look quietly efficient, but I'm sticking with my original prediction of Argentina. They are playing such explosive football, the question isn't whether they'll score goals against Germany but whether they'll score more than their slightly suspect defence will let in.

bleeeeeerghh :)

So are you all sticking with original predictions? I think I will stick with the Dutch :)

Brazil looked good last night though, who'd have thought a Brazilian team would have a decent defence !

xann

• Ravens Member
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: June 29, 2010, 01:10:33 pm
I'm sticking with Brazil, but am supporting Ghana ofc :D

Thats the big thing with this Brazil team, solid and talented. Substance before flair.

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: July 02, 2010, 05:19:41 pm

I take this back ! And looks like I might be right to back the Dutch, gooooo Oranges :-)

xann

• Ravens Member
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: July 02, 2010, 05:52:05 pm
Luck of the Dutch! :P

Ghana all the way now!