Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
on: May 03, 2010, 09:04:44 pm
Hey Guys,

How safe is it to use Ccleaner to tidy up your registry?  If your wondering I already did it and deleted 916 different items, also did it on my missus's laptop, both still work but hers seems to occasionally crash now, which aint great.  Any way to track down the cause of crash type problems?

Also, I did a stupid thing and dled Quicktime when promted after using Facebook (meh faceplant  ::)), anyway now I went to use iTunes and AVG flagged 2 virus's but didn't give me much info on them, moved one to vault but couldn't touch the other.  I deleted as much of iTunes as I could figuring I can re-instal but some parts it won't let me delete, just keeps saying I need permission, fairly sure I disabled that whoe permission thing with Vista, how do I check again?  The virus's aren't picked up in a normal system swepe though but where when I tried to use iTunes, why woudl that be?  I use the [aid for version of AVG version 9.0.814 if that helps.

Cheers,

Sax.

<Currently thinking of something amazing to write ...>

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 01:03:11 am
Ccleaner is perfectly safe. I've been using it for years without problems and regularly ask it to clean up my registry. I doubt Ccleaner has deleted something it shouldn't have but it might have brought an underlying problem to the surface. Crashes are hard to diagnose unless you can get an error code to work with. Use Ccleaner to have a look at your startup list and see if there's any applications which don't need to be there and can be disabled or removed.

As for AVG and iTunes, I doubt you have a virus. AVG is rather notorious for flagging a lot of stuff as viruses which aren't. It probably objects to some of the more spyware-esque behaviour of iTunes, but its not a virus per se.

Getting iTunes off your computer is whole other can of worms. The fact that iTunes is only partially deleted might be causing some of your crashes. Assuming you still want to use iTunes I would reinstall and then find out how to tell AVG to stop objecting about it ("avg and itunes" returns a heap of links on Google).

Brigh

• Ravens Officer
  • Big Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 08:37:26 am
Like Cern I have used CCleaner for a while now to keep my PC running smoothly and I also have both AVG and ITunes and never encountered a problem.

Kilgour LVL 80 Gnome Rogue WOW
Kilgour LVL 70 BE Warlock WOW
Brigheiss LVL 70 Orc Warrior WOW
Brigh BR23 CR2 NC Planetside Gemini
Brigh BR26 CR3 TR Planetside Werner

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 02:09:43 pm
Ok, thats good to know, I tried to get ride of iTunes but couldn't delete the lot.  If it is a common problem I'll chill and re-instal, AVG prolly just updated and as I haven't updated iTunes for months picked something up.

Cheers,

Sax.

<Currently thinking of something amazing to write ...>