Brigh BR23 CR2 NC Planetside Gemini
Brigh BR26 CR3 TR Planetside Werner

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: November 05, 2009, 10:30:33 pm
Yep server is back, see you on there then.

xann

• Ravens Member
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: November 06, 2009, 01:28:45 am
i've been having a fair few diconnects so far, just freezes up and times out

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: November 06, 2009, 04:43:02 pm
Any more for a bit of nostalgia?

hehe, maybe I'll think about it. Problem is I want to remember daoc as the awesome game my memory has implanted in me, and to play it again might spoil it by finding out it was actually a bit crap... :)

Also... I have dragon age:origins to play now !! (yipppee)

eKo

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #49 on: November 06, 2009, 04:50:56 pm
Hehe, I'm in the same boat as Las, got terrific memories of DAoC & all those MMO's I've played meanwhile might have spoiled me.

And yeah, Dragon Age: Origins is out :).

Champions Online had a free weekend last weekend and while it looked nice & played ok, it was overly complicated, hard to grasp fully what powers do just by their description and the stats + how powers are affected by them aren't greatly described either. It also felt like a single player game (only levelled to 11 though) where some other people also run around in doing their thing. Didn't look a bad game at all, but kinda prefer the relative simplicity of CoH (though they have added crafting into CoH now as well). Of the oh so many MMO's I've played CoH is the only one I'd return to if I could find people to play with, mainly because it was so different (no autoattacks, more action based, superspeed/superjump!, the character creator! ;D fighting multiple mobs all the time instead of the 1v1 most MMO's offer, etc). Unfortunately it still had lots of the boring missions in the same few environments last I played.

Katsui :: Huldra :: Blades/Assault Rifle
Spookks :: Huldra :: Pistols/Elementalism

Brigh

• Ravens Officer
  • Big Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #50 on: November 06, 2009, 05:02:03 pm
tbh it is much how I remember it, of course I've not reached the dizzy heights of the frontiers but I popped into thid earlier and it seemed the same.

I'm just happy playing another game I enjoy which isn't WoW :)

Had great fun last night with Cern, just like old days

Brigh :D

Kilgour LVL 80 Gnome Rogue WOW
Kilgour LVL 70 BE Warlock WOW
Brigheiss LVL 70 Orc Warrior WOW
Brigh BR23 CR2 NC Planetside Gemini
Brigh BR26 CR3 TR Planetside Werner

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: November 06, 2009, 06:34:03 pm
What surprises me is Daoc doesn't feel that crap or aged at all. With the bundled expansions the graphics arent half bad and actually stand up surprisinglyy well against more recent games. I still love just exploring Daoc for the scenery. Perhaps it's because Daoc feels like a world not just a load of theme park zones artificially stapled together (ToA being the exception of course). What lets the game down most is the UI which is clunky by modern standards. That said, it's only really WoW which has raised the UI bar a long long way. WAR, Aion, Lotro, AoC, CoH etc all have pretty nasty UIs that should be a lot better.

As for the gameplay, I still prefer Daoc's mechanics. Combat whether melee or caster just feels so much more immediate and snappy. I think all the fancy animations in WAR and Aion etc just give an impression of lack of connection with your character. And the interupt code in Daoc is still better than any other system tried since and keeps casters from being totally OP (imagine if Bright Wizards in WAR had to deal with interupts).

What has surprised me is there's actually people still joining Daoc for the first time. A trickle of course, but a steady one and I'm amazed there's any at all tbh. But perhaps it shows that people want something they're not getting from other games out there. Mythic should get their act together and shoehorn all the existing content into a brand new game engine and UI and relaunch it as Daoc Reloaded or something. There's been some amateur efforts which have actually migrated the Daoc scenery inside the Crysis engine, with pretty nice results, so it can be done.

There's no level grind anymore. Brigh and I went from 8 to 18 in a few hours of Warrior + Spritmaster pbaoe mayhem (admittedly with a buffbot) and my Runie is level 46 with 2.5 days /played on the clock (its a lot quicker to the endgame now than WoW).

Of course I'm not trying to be a cheerleader and gloss over the fact that ToA and to a lesser extent Champ Levels still hang over the endgame like a dark cloud. Plus after so much time the endgame is dominated by some seriously hardcore players, as you might expect. And you still need buffs (though there's now npcs you can get buffs from that are almost as good as a buffbot). But that doesn't mean there's not some fun to be had.

But I can also understand about keeping memories as just that. We ran a pretty successful 8-man team and so this influences things. There's no way of getting back to that, so you have to lower expectations, and I can understand how this might alter some good memories.

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #52 on: November 06, 2009, 11:20:41 pm
I doubt I'll ding 50th again but will dl it soon.  Am busy till Tuesday/Wednesday but will dl and be ready for a few hours then.  Problem is I lurve Civ4 so much all over again!! :)  I wanna try Dragon Age as well, how is it Las?

Still if it's that fast I'll get to Thrid as I never really played in their very much last time cos I was always playing my Champ or lvling the Midgard team that never quite made it! o.O
             ^

Sax.

<Currently thinking of something amazing to write ...>

eKo

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #53 on: November 07, 2009, 01:05:09 am
Downloaded DAoC anyway and started a Shadowblade (Keaira) & Valkyrie (Zhora). Preferring Valkyrie for now, but if you're going for a stealth team I guess I'll level the Shadowblade as well ;).

For such an old game the gfx is indeed ok still, but jeez, the UI is crap :).

Katsui :: Huldra :: Blades/Assault Rifle
Spookks :: Huldra :: Pistols/Elementalism

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: November 07, 2009, 02:54:07 am
Downloaded DAoC anyway and started a Shadowblade (Keaira) & Valkyrie (Zhora). Preferring Valkyrie for now, but if you're going for a stealth team I guess I'll level the Shadowblade as well ;).

For such an old game the gfx is indeed ok still, but jeez, the UI is crap :).

Yep the UI is pretty horrible. If only they could re-skin the game with a fresh new UI it would bring it right up to date because actually the graphics are pretty good for its age.

The stealth team hasnt got off the ground yet as Slaxif is yet to download and join us and I think Xan has some connection problems? If we're more than 2 or 3 then a stealth team would be a bit of a stealth zerg, so we're probably better off on non stealth toons anyway.

So Brigh and I started a team with a Warrior (Sproutacus) and Spiritmaster (Brigheiss). So a Valkyie would fit in nicely and give us some backup heals and dps with spear (warrior can do the tanky thing). Brigh just hit Thid I think and I'll get my Warrior up to Thid as well and then wait as I don't think Brigh can play over the weekend.

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: November 07, 2009, 12:43:47 pm
Not installed it yet Sax though I'm told its very long (about 100 hours play) so should keep me busy for a while, I'll let you know what i thhink in a couple of weeks i guess. I know what you mean about Civ IV its very easy to get back into it ! (but about time for Civ 5 now really isn't it?).

Mythic didn't get rid of the buffbots then so they could take cash for 2nd accounts still ? Thats a shame really, but i guess money rules!

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: November 07, 2009, 03:31:15 pm
Mythic didn't get rid of the buffbots then so they could take cash for 2nd accounts still ? Thats a shame really, but i guess money rules!

Well they made some half-arsed attempts. Classic server was buffs on a range and a being grouped requirement. This stopped the stealther buffing and hampered powerlevelling, but didn't stop PVE farming or indeed some groups dragging one along in RvR. Ultimately Classic server didn't prove popular with the players though. More recently they've created special buff NPCs which will give you all the buffs you want for some gold. But since these buffs are about 75% of the power you could get from a full blown bot, they don't appeal to the min-max'ers, though for most people they are fine (any bot I've ever made was never full buff spec as I like to be able to play them actively). But yeah, Mythic have never tried too hard to remove the need for buffbots and I think their use is just too ingrained in the game's community now.

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #57 on: November 07, 2009, 10:38:23 pm
I'll prolly start a Thane and a Hunter.  Am kinda excited about it tbh :)

Sax.

<Currently thinking of something amazing to write ...>

xann

• Ravens Member
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #58 on: November 08, 2009, 12:35:54 am
I've "started again" made a Norse Bezerker, and yes the UI is giving me problems, especialy being totaly new to it :P

how do u add ppl to ur buddy list?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 01:15:41 am by xann »

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #59 on: November 08, 2009, 01:43:45 am
/friend <name>

But bear in mind that the person needs to be online when you add them (silly I know). Also, if they aren't on the same shard as you then you need to put in their name with shard extension., eg /friend Legolasthelame-Ywain1. Same goes when sending tells, if they aren't on your shard you need to type the full name, eg /tell Legolasthelame-Ywain1 you suck.

The Ywain1, Ywain2 in names is only temporary while the cluster settles down and everyone transfers in. Names are actually unique (eg there can't be Legolasthelame-Ywain1 and a Legolasthelame-Ywain2). At the moment it's like it is to get everyone used to what login lobby and housing zone they belong to. In the future the Ywain1, Ywain2 etc will be dropped from player names.