Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
on: November 03, 2006, 11:37:26 pm
Hey guys,

How are you folks finding NWN2, I have tried to play it but it doesn't seem to like my system for some reason, even with settings turned down and resolution at a reasonable lvl it runs slow with plenty of graphical lag, its jerky the textures r blocky, and basically not playable.  I put new graphics drivers in to replace my aging ones but they didn't do anything, anyone else having the same problems?

Sax.

<Currently thinking of something amazing to write ...>

Darkly

• Ravens Member
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 07:32:55 am
Erk :(

Sounds like Gothic 3 on my machine... I'll prolly be getting it (hopefully reviewing it) in the next couple of weeks, so just hope it isn't the same.

With Gothic it just seems it doesn't get on with some peeps machines, I updated the graphics drivers etc like you, even at 800X600 there's some (far too much) jerkiness.

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 11:59:21 am
aye i got it and works okay for me, i do find it a little jerky but nothing major (mostly i just put that down to my system being a little old now).

Dunno what to suggest other than the obvious stuff really sax - did you patch the game also ? It seems also to me that NWN2 is quite resource hungry - even the recommended spec is quite high compared to other newly released games.

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 05:23:37 pm
Nah, I figured it would not need patching as its just been released.  As for being system hungry I realise my machine is far from cutting edge now, but with 2 gigs ram and a 256 meg 7800GT, a 3500 AMD chip I'd still epxect it to run at a reasonable rate.  I won't be about to try it agian now till Tuesday, will fiddle a bit more then I guess, as it stands I haven't done more than destroy a few dummies b4 your 'challenges' in the starter village fair :(

Sax.

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 06:31:01 pm
well your pc is better spec than mine (mines the same but only a 2.8ghz processor). I do find the gfx stutters a little as i say, but no where near unplayable (i will try and tweak it a bit i guess).

Anyway, yeah there is already a patch so that's where i'd start and see if there are any fixes in there. Also make sure your DirectX is up to date, though i should imagine it is.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 07:03:59 pm by Lasiien »

Darkly

• Ravens Member
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 10:10:28 am
Gah, I got 1 gig and a 6800 card (and AMD 3000)... which tbh runs most stuff fine, even on 1280x1024 (though with the details often turned down ;) )

Should be interesting to see how it is on mine then :/

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 10:23:48 am
Well your spec is better than mine Sax. Got a 6800GT and P4 3 Ghz (overclocked to 3.4 Ghz) with 2GB ram. Runs most stuff well, even at 1600x1200, including Oblivion (though at about 75% settings). Hopefully will be ok with NWN2 as would like to play it.

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 10:00:09 am
Hmm, I'll try the patch then see if that improves it, regards DX9 I think it would have installed the latest version if that was necessary when it loaded the game onto my HD.  Will have another go tomorrow and see whats what.

Are people finding the game fun or not?

Sax.

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 12:57:16 pm
well i only have a 6800 gfx card as well (misread sax's first post) so i don't think you peeps should have too many problems.

In terms of the game I've played a little and it looks pretty decent, though not being a hardcore d&d'er i'm sometimes a little confused by all the stuffs ;) The camera was kinda annoying me though, just couldn't seem to settle it in a place that was comfortable.

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 02:46:31 pm
I also found the camera angle to be annoying, I'd put it where I wanted it then as soon as my guys moved it'd spaz out.

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 11:47:54 pm
Read a few blurbs about game problems and it seems Xfire slows fps down a shed load, I uploaded the patch and turned Xfire off and now don't have any issues at higher resolutions and other options.  

Still not settled with a good camera angle and I think they could have done with making the avatars a little smaller to fit more on the screen at the same time, will play more later and see what the game play is like though.

Sax.

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 12:19:46 am
cool am glad you got it sorted, though i agree about the camera i'm still finding it strange

Darkly

• Ravens Member
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #12 on: November 09, 2006, 09:35:02 am
Hmm, don't like the sound of that much... I hate it when they balls up something as basic (and vital) as the camera view!

Will be picking my copy up soon, hopefully (have to see if I can get a free one first ;) )

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 10:21:28 am
Yeah the whole camera view thing sounds like it might be a bit of a showstopper. It's one of the things that frustrates me most in 3D games. I like to get a camera view that I'm comfortable with (the old motion sickness thingy) and stick with it, hate it when the camera starts whirling around uncontrollably.

Since it's something that almost every review of the game I've read moans about, you have to wonder if they beta tested it properly and/or listened to the beta testers.

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 11:10:27 am
I'll try to explain a bit more - it's not that manipulating the camera is really difficult or anything, or that the camera shakes and things like that, you can easily get it into positions whereby you are happy with the view for what you are doing at the time. You can view top down as per NWN1 or go for a more regular third person view like some other games (wow etc). I think this is what they tried to do to give you complete freedom in camera control.

However, the problem comes because the camera doesn't auto adjust for walls for example. So you turn slightly left and suddenly cant see a thing cos theres a great big wall in the way. The only way I've really been able to play with any comfort has been totally 'top-down', which is a bit crap in this day and age :) Maybe I'm missing something about how to make this better, but its pretty damn annoying :)