Brigh

• Ravens Officer
  • Big Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #61 on: November 16, 2006, 01:20:16 pm
Quote from: Darkly
Cool, sounds like a good patch....

Yeah I think it will improve the end-game - going to piss off a few people but I welcome the change (although grinding like mad myself to get rank 7 for some new boots!)

Brigh :D

Kilgour LVL 80 Gnome Rogue WOW
Kilgour LVL 70 BE Warlock WOW
Brigheiss LVL 70 Orc Warrior WOW
Brigh BR23 CR2 NC Planetside Gemini
Brigh BR26 CR3 TR Planetside Werner

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #62 on: November 16, 2006, 02:36:02 pm
They should never have made the PvP system the way it is currently, it was a big mistake and its taken them 2 yrs to rectify it.  I was reading in PC gamer an article on those who achieve High Warlord, they go to the length sof quiting jobs, dumping friends and girlfriends and playing for literally 15 - 18 hours a day, living of pizza's and crap and just grinding away.  PvP shouldn't be about grinding imo, there should be another type of reward for it with a honour system/RP system or similar added to spice things up.

But thats a tired arguement tbh.

Sax.

<Currently thinking of something amazing to write ...>

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #63 on: November 16, 2006, 03:30:26 pm
aye it is, though personally I'm glad they seem to be waking up to the fact that you can never please the hardcore no-lifers.

I remember in daoc i thought how unachievable rr10 was, but there were people that went to 6months+ 12 hours-a-day rvr to do it. I also remember how ludicrous i thought the (original now changed) SWG grind to become a jedi was (you had to grind through almost every class on one character to recognise your 'secret' combination, and then you were only a jedi apprentice with another huge grind ahead of you) but some took a year playing 12-hours-a-day to do it :)

Essentially i don't think you can ever please those people. They will always achieve massive grinds to get the best stuff, and then complain about lack of content (especially if more casual players start to catch up and their equipment is no longer so special). However, they are a minority of players, which is the true absurdity if you ask me :) (and don't even get me started on the issue that they pay the same money as i do!)

What i most hated about wow pvp though was that you basically reached a limit you could never go past (essentially based on the time you had available to play). Getting a shot at getting nice kit over a longer period is more than welcome if you ask me. Though a note of caution, I believe the ranking system still kinda exists with the arenas, that seem to have their own specific rewards? I dont really fully understand it all yet

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #64 on: November 16, 2006, 03:57:50 pm
Quote from: Saxif
I was reading in PC gamer an article on those who achieve High Warlord, they go to the length sof quiting jobs, dumping friends and girlfriends and playing for literally 15 - 18 hours a day, living of pizza's and crap and just grinding away.

It's like something straight out of the South Park WoW episode really. What made that so funny was there was more than an element of truth to it.

Blizz should be ashamed really that they put in place a system which forces people to grind like that and puts them in a position where they feel they need to give up jobs/friends/family committments to achieve something in a game.

They should have known this would happen, addiction is a big problem with all MMORPGs so why make things worse with ladder grinds etc. Even without the PvP grind WoW is plenty addictive enough Blizz would never need to worry about subscriber numbers, so I never understood why put such a hardcore system in place.

Anyway, they've finally done something about it at least, so a victory for common sense. A ladder will persist in the Arena for the addicts, but at least there's a more casual system there for everyone else now.

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #65 on: November 16, 2006, 04:37:16 pm
I am a little lazy, could someone basically give me the heads up on this arena thing?

I assume its based on the % of fights you win over time, and maybe by how much higher ranked or lower ranked your opponents are?

Sax.

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #66 on: November 16, 2006, 05:29:13 pm
I dunno the exact formula but yep, basically if you fight a team much higher up the ladder than you and win then you get a huge boost etc.

Check out this post from the wow boards for more info

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #67 on: November 17, 2006, 09:30:26 am
Some token prices on the beta thottbot here  for the (current) uber pvp weapons. Note they will cost honour as well (about 12,000 honour is most of the reports i've read plus the tokens) so I guess you can save up tokens  but will still need to get the honour once the patch is live.

Click on one of the tokens (AV or AB etc) to see what else can be bought for them

Brigh

• Ravens Officer
  • Big Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #68 on: November 17, 2006, 09:54:30 am
I hope stuff is that cheap - you could get 20 AB tokens and 12000+ easy in an evening (I know as I did it last night)!

Did I see Carc and Xan online last night? If you were then sorry for not saying Hello but all my kill spam in AB must have got in the way of you logging on/off !

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #69 on: November 17, 2006, 10:07:30 am
well yeah but keep in mind the way they calculate honour is changing right ? So I wouldn't assume that 12000 honour is as easy as it is now.

Carc and Xan were on ye, they were mostly laughing at saxif and prolly trying to convince him to go roll a gnome or something ;)

Brigh

• Ravens Officer
  • Big Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #70 on: November 17, 2006, 10:42:07 am
Yeah I read on the legion boards that you get about 20-30 honour per solo kill - so you would need to do a lot of PVP to get the high warlord stuff, hoping to save some time and get rank 7 this week.

Good to see Xan and Carc back - just need to get Rodox to leave PO and get Dark and Grim and we are sorted!

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #71 on: November 17, 2006, 01:21:17 pm
pfft, they'd have been laughing at you just as much a week ago  :)

Sax.

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #72 on: November 17, 2006, 02:34:13 pm
rubbish ! i r shadopreist pewpew ! ;)

Brigh

• Ravens Officer
  • Big Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #73 on: November 23, 2006, 09:40:21 am
Hey Gang

Quick advice on the upcoming PVP patch - I'm currently 93% through rank 6 so I will get rank 7 on Wednesday but if they patch next week when I turn rank 7 will I still be able to buy the PVP gloves and boots or will I have to save up and purchase them with honour tokens although I'm rank 7?

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #74 on: November 23, 2006, 10:25:38 am
they say the week before they patch honour will not count, so you wouldnt make rank 7 im afraid, and no i dont think you will be able to buy anything after the patch based on old rankings.

However, having said that i really dont think they will patch next week. Everybody's guessing at the moment and I've heard people guess next week, and some say it wont be till 1st week in Jan :) Blizzard are saying nothing.

If you want my guess it is the 1st or 2nd week in Dec, enough time to iron out bugs and problems before everyone at Blizzard goes off for christmas :)