Post your Oblivion character

Cernos · 9131

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
on: March 30, 2006, 05:16:58 pm
What character are you playing in Oblivion and what do they look like? Post your screenshots here.

Here's my character, Oregano. I made a custom class I called "Shadowbow" ... essentially a ranger-thief archetype. A wood-elf renegade torn between a desire to do heroic deeds and the tempatation to pilfer a few things along the road. Last night I broke into Odiils farm and made off with some vintage brandy. But then in the nearby village I bumped into Mr Odiil himself in the inn and got such a guilty conscience I just had to help his sons take out a band of goblins who were raiding the farm. I'm sure he'll be happy enough his sons both survived not to miss the brandy :D

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 07:26:32 pm
I assume print screen is used for taking screen shots?

I am a custom class also, called myself a Champion, fighter/mage type, light armour for sneaking (I do alot of that), and getting into magic, especially conjuration, I find summoning a Scamp very useful takes the heat off me long enough to do some serious damage.

My latest adventure began when I left Anvil and got chatting to a woman working a farm, she told me a sob story about how her husband had run off and taken her family hierloom with him, a mace called Rocksplitter.  Anyhow I humoured her, having no intention of fighting someone with a magical mace, low and behold the next dungeon I find there he is with his bandit allies, between him and his Bandit Warlord lady friend wielding her fire enchanted Claymore they proved a handful.  However after some heavy fighting (and some use of the 'save game' feature) I defeated them both and returned triumphant!!  

Damn I'm good :)

Pictures to come!!

Sax.

<Currently thinking of something amazing to write ...>

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 08:57:39 pm
Yeah, it's Print Screen, but I had to change the following line in oblivion.ini in order to take screen shots.

bAllowScreenShot=1  (default is 0)

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 09:17:41 am
I'll do that tonight and post a picture of my toon, at the moment he looks identical to a Kavatch City Guard, using a Katana, as I took up the position of Imperial Blade.  

I closed another Oblivion Gate last night, and am getting ready to go for a third.

Also I added the pea soup tweak and it ran fine, no problems, I'll go for the Blood one next and see how that works out.  

Sax.

Lasiien

• Ravens Member
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 11:08:39 am
How did you get the camera facing your character, couldn't figure out how to do it :)

I made a dark elf spellsword, the kinda charcter i always love playing, mix of magic and melee and ability to heal himself. Currently in Anvil doing some of the fighters guild quests, not very well though. One quest requires me to follow someone sneakily and it's been kinda hard with all the clanging of my heavy armour ;)

I probably look similar to Sax in items, as I'm also an imperial blade and i raided the armoury  :)

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 11:34:14 am
To get the camera to face I press down the mouse wheel, it takes a second then it allows you to move the camera view to how you want it, although it'll swap back to 1st or 3rd person when you start moving.  If you dont have a camera wheel I'd assume you could select a key or somehting in the options menu to allow you to change camera facing.

Personally I only use 3rd person when sneaking to get a better view around corners, and 1st person when fighting.

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 02:56:48 pm
I find first person view better too. I don't like the dampened camera swing effect when you turn in 3rd person view, but perhaps there's a way to switch that off.

To get into 'vanity mode' the default is to click the mouse wheel once, then adjust the camera view with the mouse and wheel.

Made 3rd level last night and did the quest to join the thieves guild. Next to join the fighters guild and lead a double life ..... :D

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 03:22:37 pm
What did you use to reduce your image so that it would fit as an attachment, my images are 3.6 megs or something and I dont seem to be able to find a way to shrink them.

Also, has anyone managed to find a reliable supply of lock picks yet?  I assume from the thiefs guild, but I was kinda hoping to be able to get them elsewhere, I broke all mine on a hard lock, didn't get more than 3 tumblers up in a row, very annoying :(

Has anyone used the Trap Soul spell yet?  I am paying for training in Mysticism atm so I can use it, but haven't quite made the 25 skill needed to cast it.

Sax.

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 06:04:29 pm
Quote from: Saxif
What did you use to reduce your image so that it would fit as an attachment, my images are 3.6 megs or something and I dont seem to be able to find a way to shrink them.

http://www.sylvan.org.uk/ravens/showthread.php?t=39

Or in a nutshell, if you don't have image editing software like Photoshop or ACDSee, grab Irfanview which is freeware, downsize to 1024x768 and save with enough compression to get the filesize down under 200k (I could raise the forum limits but downsizing isn't too hard and I'd prefer not to have multi MB attachments stored on the site).

Also, has anyone managed to find a reliable supply of lock picks yet? I assume from the thiefs guild, but I was kinda hoping to be able to get them elsewhere, I broke all mine on a hard lock, didn't get more than 3 tumblers up in a row, very annoying :(

Thieves guild sells them, or you can get them from certain monsters as loot (usually bandits, goblins and other similar humanoids).

Has anyone used the Trap Soul spell yet? I am paying for training in Mysticism atm so I can use it, but haven't quite made the 25 skill needed to cast it.

Don't pay for training. You need to get your Mysticism up to 25 but this is easy if you purchase a lower level Mysticism spell (such as Detect Life) and spam it (a bit of downtime waiting for majicka to regen, or you can guzzle sorcery potions). You can buy the lower level Mysticism spells from the Mages Guild in Leyawiin.

Soul Trap saves heaps on enchanted item recharging costs. You do need a supply of soul gems, but just join the Mages Guild and 'borrow' them (all guild houses have some lying around) :)

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 09:33:00 am
So Soul Trap is used for restoring magical items to maximum charge right?

I have a number of Soul Gems from little inexpensive ones to big expensive ones, when you find them as loot do they automatically come charged?  Does the process of using the Soul Trap in any way hinder the target?  I have read somewhere that you can use Soul Trap on summoned Daedric creatures as well, any confirmation (would be useful as I am becoming a powerful summoner).  So far though I haven't needed to recharge any magical items, though I am sure that will change when I find somehting useful that I want to keep.

Another question, this time about the differences between heavy and light armour.  I am going to assume that its easier to stealth in light armour than heavy, depsite only being able to find hard evidence of this regarding the kind of boots your wearing.  I was talking to a friend who plays Oblivion a little, he has a lvl 7 Paladin character who is heavy armour spec, and his AC is about 50-ish, I am light armour spec'd atm, higher lvl with rings that give me a % increase in my armour, and my AC is about 50-ish also.  When looking at the AC of individual pieces of armour Light and Heavy dont seem to have much difference between them, so whats with his AC being so high??  Also anyone notice ppl in light armour move faster at all?

Thats all for now,

Sax.

Cernos

• Space Hamster
  • Administrator
  • Huge Mouf
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 04:03:17 pm
Quote from: Saxif
So Soul Trap is used for restoring magical items to maximum charge right?

Yep, much better option than the extortionate prices the Mages Guild charges (they won't even let you haggle the recharge price down).

I have a number of Soul Gems from little inexpensive ones to big expensive ones, when you find them as loot do they automatically come charged?

No, they're usually uncharged when you get them (you can tell the charge level when you mouseover them).

Does the process of using the Soul Trap in any way hinder the target? I have read somewhere that you can use Soul Trap on summoned Daedric creatures as well, any confirmation (would be useful as I am becoming a powerful summoner). So far though I haven't needed to recharge any magical items, though I am sure that will change when I find somehting useful that I want to keep.

Well you can't use Soul Trap on humanoids (unless you have a Black Soul Gem and these are rare/expensive) so you need to trap minor animals or summoned critters. Rats and wolves are good fodder. You need to get up close, cast the soul trap on the target, then kill it.

Another question, this time about the differences between heavy and light armour.

Well, sneaking is mainly about footwear, and once you get up the ranks in stealth you can do it in any footwear without penalty. Seems a bit mad you can sneak in heavy armour, but looks like it's possible (but I haven't tried, don't have the strength to wear it).

So, armour type is mainly about speed, encumbrance and fatigue. My character doesn't have a lot of strength, so I find that in a full suit of heavy armour I've barely any spare encumbrance for carrying loot.

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 07:53:48 pm
cool, at least you've worked some stuff out Cern, little bit late for me to worry about the type of armour I am wearing, and pretty soon, I'll be summoning the Gods themselves !!! ;)

Darkly

• Ravens Member
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #12 on: April 24, 2006, 04:30:50 pm
You should be posting your characters up on this site ;)

http://www.sexysprite.com/index.php?img=GTZZWOXXMDZR

Saxif

• Chief Navigator
  • Ravens Officer
  • Da Post Farmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #13 on: April 24, 2006, 11:10:18 pm
LOL, I am not even gonna ask how you came across that one :-)

Darkly

• Ravens Member
  • Loud Mouf
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 07:45:16 am
Research for a book.

Really, it was! Honest  :o